Power options

Why can't I set the power options for the administrator
and have it carry through for all the users?

I am using windows-XP Professional and I set the power
options under my name as the administrator. When I look
at my wife's settings they are different and I can't
change them.
1 answer Last reply
More about power options

    | "jerrocco" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | wrote in message news:bbf501c479cd$9e835440$a301280a@phx.gbl
    | Why can't I set the power options for the administrator
    | and have it carry through for all the users?
    |
    | I am using windows-XP Professional and I set the power
    | options under my name as the administrator. When I look
    | at my wife's settings they are different and I can't
    | change them.

    Power Options are not a system-level computer setting. They are
    a per-user registry setting just like desktop settings (such as
    wallpaper and color scheme settings), and application settings
    (such as Microsoft Office Menu Bar customizations.)

    For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge
    Base article:

    KB256986 - Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;256986

    To change the Power Options for other Users who are not members
    of the Group Administrators you can:

    - Log on as Administrator (or a user in the Administrators
    group)

    - Run the Control Panel applet named: User Accounts. Then, for
    your wife's account, "change a user's group or account type" to
    Administrator. For more information search the Windows XP Help
    and Support Center for the phrase in double-quotes (with the
    quotes) and read the Full-text Search Match by that title.

    - Use "RunAs" on the "Power Options" applet and logon as your
    wife. For more information search the Windows XP Help and
    Support Center for the phrase in double-quotes (with the quotes)
    and read the Overviews, Articles and Tutorials by that title.

    - Set the Power Scheme as desired and click Apply.

    - Once again run the Control Panel applet named: User Accounts
    and change your wife's account type back to the previous setting.

    NOTE: If you want to give your wife the ability to configure
    Power Settings and change the Power Scheme without changing her
    type of user account you can grant her (or all the members of
    the group your wife is a member of), full control access to the
    applicable registry key. To do that:

    - Log on as Administrator (or a user in the Administrators group)

    - Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

    - Navigate to the below registry key

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Controls Folder\PowerCfg

    - Add the User or Group to the Permissions list and assign Full
    Control access.

    For information on how "To assign permissions to a registry key",
    see the Help and Support Center topic of that title.

Configuration Power Customization Microsoft Windows XP