Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How does one pick a mITX motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 9:04:02 AM

Heya Tom's! I'm in a bit of a bind.

I'm strongly considering moving my computer to a BitFenix Prodigy, which would work well.

Only problem is that I would need a new motherboard.

I currently have an i5-3570k, a Hyper 212+ with aftermarket fans, a GTX 670, and non-low-profile ram.

I was looking at motherboards, and have narrowed it down to one of these three: http://goo.gl/nFWO1

I like the AsRock, because it has wifi for lan parties and a PS/2 for my mechanical keyboard.

What can you guys tell me about the other boards? Why are they better? Which one would be best for overclocking? (I know the power phase regulators have something to do with it, but how do you tell the design?)

What features am I missing that I'm going to sorely want on the AsRock board that it doesn't have?

I don't suppose any of these boards will have enough room between the cooler and the ram to support those heatsinks. Any ideas what to do with that that would prevent me from having to buy new ram?

More about : pick mitx motherboard

a c 1155 V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 12:51:01 PM

I see no reason not to pick the Asrock. Space for cooler is the same on all of them.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 1:12:00 PM

Why not remove the heatsinks from the ram?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 7:36:45 PM

^I've lowered their timings significantly - I'm not sure how much heat they're producing. Though I could replace them with aftermarket heatsinks, I haven't seen any that are supposedly more than decoration.

rolli, that's what I'm leaning towards but for two concerns. 1) Why is the EVGA board so much more expensive? 2) Tying into that, is the AsRock going to be somewhat decent at overclocking? My i5 is at 4.4GHz with a 1.18vcore. I'm likely going to have to raise the vcore due to a less suitable motherboard, but if the AsRock can't come anywhere close, then...
m
l

Best solution

a c 1155 V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 8:26:20 PM

EVGA probably paying for the name. Overclocking power phases EVGA 7+1 Asrock 6+2 not a lot of difference.
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 10:39:53 PM

Mmm, I suppose that makes sense.

What IS the difference between the two, and how can you tell? (And, if you're amazing, what's the phase setup on a Gigabyte z77x-ud3h? That'll give me a clue how bad overclocking on the mITX will be, right?)
m
l
a c 1155 V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 11:24:50 PM

I do not know this new digital power of Gigabyte and swore a few years ago that I would never buy one of their boards again (had to do with AM2+ board and AM3 CPU support that got pulled).
Asrock has as far as I know done well in most board comparisons I have seen so I believe that board might overclock well.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 11:52:39 PM

Fair enough. I'm probably going to go with the Asrock then, thanks!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 11:52:55 PM

Best answer selected by DarkSable.
m
l
!