Sign in with
Your question

Low profile box to pc tower

Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2011 3:38:26 PM

hey,

looking into changing my low profile pc to a pc tower. i will be updting my pc to play the latest games but i need a psu with only having 250w psu with no room for expansion

but i dont no where to start. i would get one witch dont go with my moter board. my mother board is a ddr2. i have a fujitsu esprimo e5615

idealy a tower with a psu all in.

graphics card i would be looking for would be able to run off cpu amd athlon 64 x2 4000+ ( 2 cores ) ( 2 threads )

4gb ram in dual ports.

any suggestions would be helpful

More about : low profile box tower

October 24, 2011 4:23:15 PM

1) You need a case that will hold your motherboard.
A ATX motherboard will have 7 expansion slots, a M-ATX will have 4, and a ITX will have one.
A smaller motherboard will fit in a larger case, but not vice versa.

You also need a case long enough to can hold your graphics card. The longest cards are about 12", a GTX580 will be 10.5", and GTX560 will be 9.5" or so.

2) What graphics card do you plan on?
You will need a sufficiently strong psu.
Here is what you need:
GTX550ti needs 400w with 24a on the 12v rails plus one 6-pin PCI-E power lead.

GTX560 needs 450w with 24a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX560Ti needs 500w with 30a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX570 needs 550w with 38a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX580 needs 600w with 42a on the 12v rails plus one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI-E power lead.

GTX590 needs 700w with 50a on the 12v rails plus two 8-pin PCI-E power leads or 4 6-pin power leads.

3) Power supplies which are included with a case are usually of poor quality and underpowered. Antec is the only case I would buy that includes a power supply.
That said, you will pay about the same price if you buy the case and psu separately. The case can be cheap without losing functionality.
Look at the Antec 100 for $35 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For the power supply, do not go cheap. A bad one will not deliver advertised power and can destroy your components if it fails.
You can safely buy any psu from Seasonic, PC P&C, Antec, XFX, or Corsair.
October 24, 2011 4:45:00 PM

geofelt said:
1) You need a case that will hold your motherboard.
A ATX motherboard will have 7 expansion slots, a M-ATX will have 4, and a ITX will have one.
A smaller motherboard will fit in a larger case, but not vice versa.

You also need a case long enough to can hold your graphics card. The longest cards are about 12", a GTX580 will be 10.5", and GTX560 will be 9.5" or so.

2) What graphics card do you plan on?
You will need a sufficiently strong psu.
Here is what you need:
GTX550ti needs 400w with 24a on the 12v rails plus one 6-pin PCI-E power lead.

GTX560 needs 450w with 24a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX560Ti needs 500w with 30a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX570 needs 550w with 38a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX580 needs 600w with 42a on the 12v rails plus one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI-E power lead.

GTX590 needs 700w with 50a on the 12v rails plus two 8-pin PCI-E power leads or 4 6-pin power leads.

3) Power supplies which are included with a case are usually of poor quality and underpowered. Antec is the only case I would buy that includes a power supply.
That said, you will pay about the same price if you buy the case and psu separately. The case can be cheap without losing functionality.
Look at the Antec 100 for $35 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For the power supply, do not go cheap. A bad one will not deliver advertised power and can destroy your components if it fails.
You can safely buy any psu from Seasonic, PC P&C, Antec, XFX, or Corsair.

will the Antec One Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case hold my ddr2 mother board.

just looked at the gtx 580 says its ddr5 mine is ddr2. will that work on my system.

the GTX550ti sounds bout right for me. with a 400w psu.

thanks for the info

Related resources
October 24, 2011 4:55:52 PM

The memory on the graphics card doesn't have anything to do with the memory on the motherboard, you only need to have a PIC-Express x16 slot for it to be compatible. Just about any mid-tower case will work unless your motherboard is a btx design.
October 24, 2011 4:56:32 PM

Psu's that come with case are almost always junk. I think that a good psu is a very valid investment. Sometimes people really skimp on their psus only to have them burnout or worst case explode. Are you interested in modular or not so much?
October 24, 2011 5:00:09 PM

The type of ram(ddr2) used on the motherboard is entirely separate from they type of ram used in a graphics card. There is no connection, you are good there.

The antec 100 will hold any sized ATX motherboard.

For the psu, do not go for the cheapest. A cheap psu will not deliver sufficient power where you need it on the +12v rails. A cheap psu is more likely to fail under load, destroying all your other components along with it.
My short list of quality psu's would include Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, PC P&C, and XFX. You can safely buy any one of them.
October 24, 2011 5:12:25 PM
October 24, 2011 5:14:39 PM

geofelt said:
The type of ram(ddr2) used on the motherboard is entirely separate from they type of ram used in a graphics card. There is no connection, you are good there.

The antec 100 will hold any sized ATX motherboard.

For the psu, do not go for the cheapest. A cheap psu will not deliver sufficient power where you need it on the +12v rails. A cheap psu is more likely to fail under load, destroying all your other components along with it.
My short list of quality psu's would include Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, PC P&C, and XFX. You can safely buy any one of them.

mean this psu
October 24, 2011 5:39:31 PM

you might need to check that the low profile machine's motherboard is a standardized mini-itx/microATX/ATX motherboard. Otherwise, no matter what case you buy, it won't fit properly.
October 24, 2011 5:57:45 PM

bliq said:
you might need to check that the low profile machine's motherboard is a standardized mini-itx/microATX/ATX motherboard. Otherwise, no matter what case you buy, it won't fit properly.

iam thinking about building one from scratch, tower case, new mother board with cpu and ram and graphics card then get psu
!