Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can someone help me with connecting the Front Panel cables to my MB?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 25, 2012 11:46:57 AM

I purchased a Motherboard yesterday, it is the A780L3B model, I tried connecting the stuff but my computer won't turn on which leads me to believe that I am doing it wrong. So I have been searching for pictures online but all the cables I've seen for front panels is just those two cables together in alil black case and each person has like 4 or so of those, but my cables are different which makes it difficult for me. So I took some pics of my cables and I'll post them along with what the motherboard and front panel connector looks like.

Motherboard

Front Panel Connector

Front Panel Cables

Any and all help is appreciated, thank you.
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 12:39:45 PM

It appears that the front panel cables are proprietary, meaning they only work with the original motherboard.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 12:41:13 PM

Use page 15 and 16 of your manual. They show where they all go. The white connectors go to the USB ports. The yellow one looks like front panel audio.

The wide yellow connector on the side of the motherboard gets all the loose wires that should be labeled. Power or PWR switch goes on the on/off pair of pins. Reset switch goes to the RST pair. Power LED goes to PWR LED, and Hard disk LED goes to HLED. I recommend you get a little speaker to connect to the SPK pins. It will help you troubleshoot things like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 12:44:10 PM

Oh, that little white connector with 4 pins might be a case speaker. Try them on the SPK pins. It doesn't matter which way you connect them. When you boot it will give you a beep if successful. Otherwise you will get a series of beeps that help troubleshoot problems. If you have that happen get back with us with the beep code.
m
l
November 25, 2012 1:47:39 PM

Best answer selected by xLei.
m
l
November 25, 2012 1:49:37 PM

zdbc13 said:
Use page 15 and 16 of your manual. They show where they all go. The white connectors go to the USB ports. The yellow one looks like front panel audio.

The wide yellow connector on the side of the motherboard gets all the loose wires that should be labeled. Power or PWR switch goes on the on/off pair of pins. Reset switch goes to the RST pair. Power LED goes to PWR LED, and Hard disk LED goes to HLED. I recommend you get a little speaker to connect to the SPK pins. It will help you troubleshoot things like this:

Thank you so so so much!

After you said that the 4 pin connector was the speaker cable that made everything else simpler! EXCEPT now I need to find where the 2 pin connector that gives power to my DVD Drive goes.

But THANK YOU!

This was my first time doing anything like this, I am in your debt! lol
m
l
November 25, 2012 1:50:18 PM

To all other respondents, thank you for your input!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 2:02:18 PM

Your DVD drive should connect just like your hard drive. If the DVD has a different type connector (wide with many pins sticking up) it won't work on your motherboard unless you get a SATA-PATA adapter like this:

DVD drives are cheap. Best would be to buy a new SATA DVD.
m
l
November 25, 2012 2:09:33 PM

Oh what I meant was, if you look at the second to last photo, the rightmost cable (the twisted black cables with the small white end) is my eject button. When I press that the tray opens and closes, can't seem to find where that cable goes.
m
l
November 25, 2012 2:11:03 PM

Everything works thank heaven(and you of course) except that one button for my tray to open and close...=(
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 2:23:42 PM

I've only used the button on the front of the dvd, never had one connected to the case somewhere. Didn't even know that was possible.
m
l
November 25, 2012 2:26:23 PM

zdbc13 said:
I've only used the button on the front of the dvd, never had one connected to the case somewhere. Didn't even know that was possible.

Ah, well that's ok, I'll figure it out eventually. The most important things work for now.

Thank you for all your help and your time! <3
m
l
!