GTX 590 is 3gb enough for gaming?????

has1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Hi I wanted to know, I have GTX 590 this came to my mind, is that, GTX 590 3GB.....is 3gb is enough for future gaming?? I mean look at HD 6990 that has 4GB are they enough for gaming???

Thanks

Depends on what resolution you are planning to be playing on.

If you have a 2560x1600 Monitor, or are running games across 3 monitors eventually you will need more memory, maybe run it in SLI.

But, if you are running at 1920x1080 or lower than 3GB is more than enough for a long time to come, this is because the speed of the RAM is fast enough to refresh without filling up it's entire cache.

So yes, the GTX590 will be enough for a long time to come unless you are running at incredibly high resolutions.

has1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Ahh ok thanks, yes I'm running at 1920x1080 I bought it so it can last me for long time, also planning to play Battlefield 3 on it. Do most modern games nowadays planning to push 1gb memory on video cards?

cuecuemore

Distinguished
It does depend on your monitor, but the GTX 590 is not a 3GB card, it's 2x 1.5GB "cards" on a single PCB. I'd recommend taking a look at true 3GB GTX 580s as opposed to GTX 590s if you're running at super high resolution(s).

cuecuemore

Distinguished
I'd agree, though HardOCP does [strike]some of[/strike] the most confusing benchmarking out there, it's hardly ever apples-to-apples, instead they compare playability thresholds with different settings. Drives me up the wall.

Here I thought this post would be everyone making jokes about how anyone could possibly question whether arguably the fastest card made could be anything less than enough to play a game with. Instead, you guys humor him.

vigilante212

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Treat people how you wish to be treated in return.

Although it has 3gb ram it actually has 1.5gb useable. This is because its 2x gtx580 chips on one board running in SLI and the data in the ram for each GPU is mirrored. Same as the 6990, it only has 2gb useable as its a dual GPU board.

I would fully expect someone to call me out on this sort of question. If you buy the fastest, most expensive card made, you know that if it isn't fast enough, there is something wrong with the industry.

This sort of post is usually just an attention/troll type thread, and he has not responded to it yet anyways.

^agreed, is this a joke? the answer is simple if your spending ~700 on any gpu config it better damn well max out 99% of games at 1080p money must grow on trees in OPville sheesh, take another lap in Daddys Bimmer

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Lol, ur right. It's like asking is my Ferrari fast enough?

has1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Thanks for responds guys, it wasn't a joke thread nor trolling, reason I made this thread I been hearing bad feedbacks from my friend he saying stick to 6990 they best blah blah, I went opposite side for 590. Thanks for response much appreciate

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I think all the top of the grade cards aren't that good right now. If you can wait, just wait till the next generations come out. I think 6990 is loud and a very very big card, and hot. 590 isn't reaching full potential and draws too much power. Both are way too expensive for their performance.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

There will always be arguments between AMD and Nvidia card b/c they are rivals. Both top cards are better in different aspects. I would choose the Nvidia 590 b/c it has much better 3d support, PhysX, & much quieter. As for framerate on games they go blow for blow.

Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAYQ3TzOlb8

has1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

Indeed thanks