Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Looking for a reasonably priced Mid-tower case

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 24, 2011 4:38:49 PM

Hello,

I am building a PC for my brother. It will be used for office apps, Basic business functionality (bookeeping, etc), Internet access and of course photo / video storage.

I want USB3.0 ports, and am leaning towards a bottom mounted power supply. Other than that, since all of the cases seem to have toolless designs for drives / expansion cards, I will say that I returned a case from Thermaltake earlier this year because their toolless connections were just junk plastic - and I broke a couple. Any advice on a good case with better parts that don't break so easy?

Thanks in advance.

More about : priced mid tower case

a b B Homebuilt system
October 24, 2011 4:47:57 PM

Antec 300 series is very nice. should have some sleek look as well to keep it looking professional.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 24, 2011 5:06:24 PM

The corsair carbide 400 is a good recommendation. If he wants to upgrade in the future it will definitely take whatever he wants. Plus it doesn't scream LAN party and is made by corsair so you know thought went into the design. And I can say for a fact that the tool-less drive bays aren't garbage plastic that will snap after one use.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
October 24, 2011 5:10:56 PM

dpcrush2112 said:
Hello,

I am building a PC for my brother. It will be used for office apps, Basic business functionality (bookeeping, etc), Internet access and of course photo / video storage.

I want USB3.0 ports, and am leaning towards a bottom mounted power supply. Other than that, since all of the cases seem to have toolless designs for drives / expansion cards, I will say that I returned a case from Thermaltake earlier this year because their toolless connections were just junk plastic - and I broke a couple. Any advice on a good case with better parts that don't break so easy?

Thanks in advance.


1) What sized motherboard are you using? ATX, M-ATX, ITX?
2) How many hard drives will be needed?
3) Will there be a strong discrete graphics card, or just integrated graphics?
4) What is your budget?
5) Is the size of the case an issue? Is smaller better?
6) Is quiet an issue?
7) What will you be using front mounted usb3.0 ports for? Does your motherboard have internal usb3.0 headers?
8) have you bought the other parts? What are they?

For what it is worth, I agree with you that toolless designs are not that useful. After the build, who cares?
Share
October 30, 2011 2:43:30 PM

geofelt said:
1) What sized motherboard are you using? ATX, M-ATX, ITX?
2) How many hard drives will be needed?
3) Will there be a strong discrete graphics card, or just integrated graphics?
4) What is your budget?
5) Is the size of the case an issue? Is smaller better?
6) Is quiet an issue?
7) What will you be using front mounted usb3.0 ports for? Does your motherboard have internal usb3.0 headers?
8) have you bought the other parts? What are they?

For what it is worth, I agree with you that toolless designs are not that useful. After the build, who cares?


Just to answer a couple of your questions:

1) It will be an ATX motherboard - haven't decided on it yet, and yes it will have a USB 3.0 header on it.
2) Two hard drives most likely as I am looking to a RAID solution for for mirroring - plus an external backup drive (running a business on this system)
3) it will have discrete graphics, but no need for really high end, just good solid performance
4) Budget for the build is between $1,000 and $1,200 - no monitor included in that price - he has a 24" already
5) I was looking for mid-size - I certainly don't need a full tower - was looking for a little cool fatcor - side window
6) Quite not an overriding concern, but something to consider
7) Fron USB for external backup drive and future accessories - want PC to be somewhat long lived
8) haven't bought anything yet

As a side note to kaweee - the case I ended up with earlier this year was the Storm Enforcer after returning the Thermaltake case. I liked the case very much, but it did seem a bit larger than what I wanted - but USB 3.0 was very limited at that time.

This is my third build - I enjoy it all - even the research into what parts to buy
m
0
l
November 1, 2011 4:42:43 PM

I looked at the NZXT Tempest 410 - a slight issue with just one USB3.0 port in front. I also looked at the Precision PS06B-W from Silverstone - that one has really captured my attention and is the front runner at the moment. Reasonably priced, cool colors, window, dual USB 3.0 ports. The only knock against it was the tight space behind the motherboard tray where that thick PSU cable will run, causing a bulge in the side panel.

Any comments on that case's toolless designs - as regards quality?
m
0
l
a c 93 B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2011 4:57:14 PM

dpcrush2112 said:
I looked at the NZXT Tempest 410 - a slight issue with just one USB3.0 port in front. I also looked at the Precision PS06B-W from Silverstone - that one has really captured my attention and is the front runner at the moment. Reasonably priced, cool colors, window, dual USB 3.0 ports. The only knock against it was the tight space behind the motherboard tray where that thick PSU cable will run, causing a bulge in the side panel.

Any comments on that case's toolless designs - as regards quality?


I don't know about that particular case but most "completely" toolless designs are horrible. I was using a Cooler Master Centurion 5 for quite a while and half the PCI-e connectors snapped off on me and by the time I was done with the case, it was missing half the parts.

I'd second the recommendation of the Corsair Carbide.
m
0
l
November 1, 2011 6:21:02 PM

I have actually looked at - and like - the Corsair 500r - it is just difficult to justify the price when it's not my money. So, unless I get some fairly negative feedback regarding the Silverstone case, - PS06B-W, I am leaning towards that. Otherwise, the 500r is holding second place at the moment.
m
0
l
November 2, 2011 1:17:20 PM

DoomsWord89,

That link pointed to a case that does not have any USB 3.0 connections - a non-starter for me.

All,
Just for reference, I have decided on a copuple of things for this build. I will be purchasing the following:
Gigabyte z68Xp-UD5 motherboard
Intel core-i5 2500k cpu

Haven't decided on anything else yet.
m
0
l
November 7, 2011 11:59:07 AM

Just thought I would post my build here:

Corsair 500R case 120.00
Intel Core i5 - 2500K 180.00
OCZ 600W Mod XStream 50.00
GByte HD6670 1 GB 65.00
Corsair 2x4 D3 1600 C9 50.00
Win 7 Pro - 64bit OEM 120.00
GByte GA-Z68XP-UD3 95.00
WD 2 TB SATAII 180.00 (OUCH)!!
Sales tax 57.19
---------------
Total 917.99

Purchased everything locally - MicroCenter really has some pretty good deals, especially with MOBO/CPU combos.
If it wasn't for that hard drive cost, this would have been very reasonable.
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 2:32:42 PM

Best answer selected by dpcrush2112.
m
0
l
!