DarkHorse_28

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Hey folks. About a year ago i started to build my own computer system and so far so good until i upgraded my CPU, just after i did this the PSU became very loud. The fan seems to power up under moderate load and keeps going until it hits a very loud peak before lowering again then powers up and down continuously.

Does anyone know what's causing this? I'm looking to replace the damn thing soon so i can install my new graphics card that requires an extra lead the PSU doesn't have for the card's cooling fan but i was hoping there might be a 'quick fix' or two to try so i can at least here myself think until i upgrade the power supply.

I don't know what the make/model of the PSU is but it's a 500W supply.

My system specs are

GA-MA74GMT-S2 Mobo
Phenom II X4 975 3.6ghz Black Edition
Nvidia GeoForce 210 (upgrading to a Powercolor/Radeon 6870)
4GB Corsair DDR3 1333mhz RAM
Generic Mid sized tower.

4745454b

Titan
Only thing really that makes sense to me is the new CPU you put in needs more power then the old one you had. As the CPU is drawing more power the PSU is heating up, which means the fan needs to spin faster. What's odd however is that it should spin fast all the time and not in waves.

Perhaps shut down and try a can of air on the PSU? Blow as much dust as you can out the back of the PSU. Word of warning, keep the can as upright as possible and use short bursts. The can can (LOL, love that...) get cold and cause condensation issues if you tilt it/use it for too long.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
That doesn't sound good. I would recommend just getting a replacement PSU as quickly as you can. You have some expensive parts and I would hate to see them destroyed by a unreliable PSU. I would recommend getting something like this:

XFX Core Edition PRO650W (P1-650S-NLB9) 650W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014

Comes out a bit cheaper with the rebate but I would get it rebate notwithstanding.

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Something probably damaged the fan causing the extra noise. It should be fine, but annoying. Depending on the kind of fan, you may be able to add some extra lubricant or something. If its under warranty you can probably RMA it for a quieter unit.