Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking + Installing Windows [First build] -- HELP!

Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2011 5:11:11 PM

Hi,

I just bought the following for my build:

HDDs:
Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 Sandforce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM
Windows:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT SP1 DVD OEM
Motherboard:
ASRock Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E SATA3 USB3.0 SLI CrossFireX Motherboard

Had a few questions. It's my first build so I got no idea how to overclock. I'll leave that for later, but first I just want to know if you're supposed to keep both drives connected when installing Windows? I want to install Windows on the SSD, so do I keep the other hard-drive connected the whole time as well? I heard in some cases it would cause problems if you have both HDDs connected in the beginning? Please help! I don't know the process :( 

Also, anyone know how to overclock with my motherboard?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2011 5:14:54 PM

Get into the BIOS for OC, just up the multiplier. Please read the forums though, as not knowing what you are doing will blow up your cpu and possibly your computer.

You dont NEED to have both drives connected for the install, but it makes it a whole lot easier.
October 24, 2011 5:19:03 PM

casualbuilder said:
Get into the BIOS for OC, just up the multiplier. Please read the forums though, as not knowing what you are doing will blow up your cpu and possibly your computer.

You dont NEED to have both drives connected for the install, but it makes it a whole lot easier.

When you got both of them connected how does it work. It's not going to automatically pick a drive right lol, the setup will ask me where right? Just wondering, cuz it's my first time. Yeah, the overclocking I'll figure out later but I've ordered the parts so just want to know how to set it up for now.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2011 5:23:47 PM

go into the Bios before installing the disk, you will have to set where the OS is installed, if you need help, i would take it to a local pc shop, or really research here on Tom's. Its not terribly difficult, but without being shown the first time, i can't explain it well enough for you.
October 24, 2011 5:50:42 PM

If you have both drives installed it is possible for the OS to be installed on one drive, and the boot loader on the other. It doesn't hurt to only have the SSD installed, install the OS, and then add the HDD. The HDD will appear in windows once it is formatted. Personally I don't think it is easier either way.

If you have both drives installed windows asks you which drive to install to, and it will list the name and size of both. Since they are different size drives it should be easy to distinguish between the two.

As for overclocking, here is a fairly complete guide based on a ASUS motherboard. For the most part they should be similar, but I doubt you'll find a guide with your specific board - http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s...
!