ATI 5970 Overdrive disaster please help

Drunkllamajr

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hello,
This morning I used the overdrive to put my gpu up to some speeds I found on here stupidly I didnt test first just clicked apply now after a certain amount of time my pc freezes then crashes sometimes with a blue screen of death, I tried completely uninstalling ATI first via device manager in safe mode then unistalled the normal way downloaded the latest driver and restarted the settings for the overdrive still remain and I can't change them as soon as i try to open CCC the computer crashes I know the settings are the same as I can hear the GPU fan at 100% which is what i set it to before it crashed,
I have no idea what to do now please healp

Drunkllamajr

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I would just uninstall OverDrive. Even though the settings seem to be back to normal they are not. OverDrive is more of a testing basis for overclocking. If the clocks are stable it is best to set them back and use your graphics card software to overclock, or Rivatuner. What I would do is uninstall OverDrive. When you uninstall it it will ask to reboot because of a change in the system files which are in use (your gpu clocks). So after the uninstall reboot and you should be good to go.

Tell me how things go.

\Awknathan

<Edit>

I may be mistaken for AMD OverDrive? If that is not what you are talking about then try this.
Try to set CCC to default settings. If that doesn't work:

Go into safemode with networking and download the new CCC, uninstall the old one and install the new one.

have tried all of the above however even after a fresh install the settings remain from the previous install of CCC so I am not able to restore defaults

awknathan

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Wait. You said it only crashes once CCC starts up?
You could either try going to run>msconfig>startup> and uncheck CCC on startup or:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ * \ Shellex \ ContextMenuHandlers

Also make sure there is not Ati folders left in program files/documents etc...