New PC reboots when Shutdown is pressed?

pluke the 2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Hi,

I built the following PC a few months ago and it has some issues which i'll explain after the specifications:

Windows 7 OS -

ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Mobo -

Intel Core i5-2500K CPU -

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB RAM -

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ Data Drive -

120GB SATA II SSD -

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX650 PSU -

Radeon HD 6950 2GB GPU -

So,

When I press the shutdown button within Windows 7, the computer goes to shut off and it completely shuts down for 2 seconds and then it reboots.

Can anyone tell me where to look for a problem?

No Overclocking

Issue since day 1

powercroat783

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
When In Windows 7, go to Control Panel, Then Hardware and Sound. Then Enter Power Options, and then on the left menu there should be an option that says Choose what the power buttons do. Make sure for on Battery and for Plugged in, that where it says When I press the power button, the setting is to Shut Down.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I believe that the setting that powercroat is referring to is for the physical buttons on the computer (in other words, signals from the motherboard).

If you are hitting the windows button on the start menu, then I'd hazard a guess that there is something wrong with your PC and it isn't shutting down properly and then the motherboard is deciding to auto-reboot. Are you getting any kind of improper shutdown notifications?

pluke the 2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
ya. i was wondering the same thing.

no improper shutdown notifications.

no errors or anything. it's odd.

Its like the PC shuts down completely. I have time to reach to the back of the PSU and flip the switch to turn it off.

If I don't flip the switch in the back, i got a full two seconds before it fully reboots.

the pc wont go into hibernate or standby without turning right back on as well.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Interesting. Well, even if windows doesn't tell you there was an improper shutdown doesn't mean there wasn't. For example, if you boot your PC and then immediately switch it off, it was an improper shutdown but Windows has no knowledge.

you could try unplugging things you don't need (including the power button in the case) and turn the PC on by jumping the pins with a small screwdriver. Then try turning it off and see what happens. If it doesn't reboot any more than you know something you unplugged is the problem.