What are the different brand names about?

monster10888

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I'm planning on getting 2 Nvidia gtx 570's for SLI, and as i was shopping around i noticed that there's difference brands on the cards. I'm kind of new to the computer building (laptop owner for 4 years) so I was wondering what brand of cards i should go with?
What's the real differences?

Solution
ATI provides third party companies with the video chips -- the 3rd party company then builds the video card using those chips on their PCB boards using other secondary chips, Fans, Heatsinks etc. - so the main difference is the quality of the other parts used and the warranty and customer support that each company provides and the price that they charge for those extras. Whether it is worth the additional cost really depends on what you plan on doing with the card.
ATI provides third party companies with the video chips -- the 3rd party company then builds the video card using those chips on their PCB boards using other secondary chips, Fans, Heatsinks etc. - so the main difference is the quality of the other parts used and the warranty and customer support that each company provides and the price that they charge for those extras. Whether it is worth the additional cost really depends on what you plan on doing with the card.

Solution

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

MSI not so much. Leave Sapphire with their AMD game. EVGA and XFX are bossy

Is it to late for you to get 2x 6950's as well? Save $100 bucks and have better large resolution performance..? No idea why anybody would sli a 570...

monster10888

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
@jonnyrb: No, I haven't bought any parts yet so it's not too late, and I figured SLIing 570s would be my best bet because it's more performance/dollar than 580s and i don't see anything wrong with it.

@JDFan: Thanks, that explains it good for me. Is there any type you would recommend or would the cheapest one just be as good as the most expensive?

Forgot to add that my resolution is going to be 1920x1200 so that's why I figured a gtx 570 would be the best way to go.

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

I do agree with you, It's just that nVidia isn't the other GPU company out there. the Radeon series is better right now from most people's perspective. Although in a thread titled like this you'll get a lot of nvidia fan boys

monster10888

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011

Totally understand. And I did look into the Radeon series series as well, but I also do not want to get bottlenecking as I am putting in an i5-2500k.