Quick Launch wont stay "on" after reboot

August 4, 2004 12:57:23 AM

Greetings,

Recently, Quick Launch dissapeared after reboot. I can
always make it show, but it dissapears again after
restart. Quite annoying . . .

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks a lot!
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 3:01:40 PM

Hi Dan,

This is caused by a malware named BlazeFind. Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes. Change the Path for Windows folder if installed in a different drive/directory.

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. The Quick Launch settings should be retained now.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en...

"Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bf2601c479d7$25daead0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
Greetings,

Recently, Quick Launch dissapeared after reboot. I can
always make it show, but it dissapears again after
restart. Quite annoying . . .

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks a lot!
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 8:47:34 PM

Ramesh,

Thanks for the tip. It worked!! It's the second malware
I had to remove. First one was acting on my Outlook
Express - I couldn't see my emails.

The question is . . . do you know of a software that
detects malware? I'm running Norton Antivirus and . . .
it is obvious it doesn't find it!

Thanks a million again!

Dan

us/gp/gpref.asp

>"Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:bf2601c479d7$25daead0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>Greetings,
>
>Recently, Quick Launch dissapeared after reboot. I can
>always make it show, but it dissapears again after
>restart. Quite annoying . . .
>
>Can anyone shed some light?
>
>Thanks a lot!
>.

August 5, 2004 2:34:46 PM

You're welcome Dan. All the three are the best spyware removers:

Lavasoft Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
SpyBot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/
CWShredder : http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

--

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:043501c47a7d$6a47fd60$a601280a@phx.gbl...
Ramesh,

Thanks for the tip. It worked!! It's the second malware
I had to remove. First one was acting on my Outlook
Express - I couldn't see my emails.

The question is . . . do you know of a software that
detects malware? I'm running Norton Antivirus and . . .
it is obvious it doesn't find it!

Thanks a million again!

Dan

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 10:53:35 PM

Ramesh,

Thanks for the adware software. I've been running SpyBot
1.3 and Spy Sweeper for a while, but it seems
that "malware" got through and was not detected . . . Or
was detected and removed, but results (like the quick
launch bar) remained??

Dan

Anonymous
August 6, 2004 12:51:21 PM

Yes. The latest definitions of Ad-aware does not remove this particular file, nor reset the registry entry.

--

!