AMD Processor model unknown, Please Help!

heythere_78

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Hello,

I have recently bought and installed a new processor however it is not working correctly. The model that I bought was an AMD Phenom II 3.6 GHz x4 975 Black Edition. I am having the following 2 problems with it which I am pretty sure are related.

1. Under System Info the processor is listed as Processor: AMD Processor model unknown 803 MHz and under the BIOS the processor is also listed as model unknown 800 MHz

2. The processor is only running at ~800 MHz not 3.6 GHz (I have tested this using 3 programs)

I have checked the task manager and all 4 cores appear to have activity on them and all windows operations are working fine. I have checked device manager to make sure that there were 4 drivers and that they were up-to-date (all 4 displayed as AMD processor model unknown). I also have downloaded every windows update just incase that was a problem. I have searched online extensively to find a solution to this and the 2 main responses that I have found are:

1. The BIOS needs to be updated

2. Turn off Cool n' Quiet in BIOS or put power settings to High Performance.

In response to this I checked for a BIOS update but could not find one. I checked in the BIOS for a Cool n' Quiet option and there was none, however I did set my power setting to High Performance.

Please if any of you know how to fix this problem let me know. Here are my system specs:

-
Windows Vista 64-bit SP2
Manufacturer: HP
Model: a6655f
RAM: 5 GB
Processor: AMD Phenom II 3.6 GHz x4 975 Black Edition
Core Speed: 803 MHz
Multiplier: x4.0
Bus Speed: 200
Cores: 4
Threads: 4

Motherboard: Pegatron Corporation NARRA3
Chipset: NVIDIA MCP61
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version 5.14
Date 06/20/2008

At this point in time you have two options.

#1 - Put back the old CPU and sell the AMD Phenom II 3.6 GHz x4 975 Black Edition to recover some / most of your money.

#2 - Buy an AM3 motherboard that can support that CPU.

You should know that if you go with option #2, that means you also need to buy either a retail or OEM version of whatever Windows operating system you are using or want to use. Brand name PC generally have a hidden partition on the hard drive that allows you to reinstall Windows in case it become corrupted / bloated / or whatever reason you wish to reset the PC to it's factory defaults.

This only works with the HP (in your case) motherboard. Placing the motherboard will mean you cannot use the recovery partition to reinstall Windows. Therefore, you must buy a Windows operating system install disk.

heythere_78

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Thank you very much for this information. I have packaged the CPU up to be returned. I was wondering if you would please help me with 1 more thing. I am still in need of a ne CPU. Would someone please tell me a few of the fastest CPUs that my motherboard can support and post them here along with the source that shows they are compatable.

Hi :)

We have come across this a few times in my computer shops... the "unknown processor" error...

Someone actually did give you the correct answer....its a Bios upgrade ..BUT if your mobo does not support that CPU , there will not be one... as I suspect you already found out...

Regarding sending it back....YOU bought the wrong cpu, why should the seller refund you now its been used ???

You would NOT get a refund in one of my shops for YOUR error...

My staffs answer to you would be...YOU bought it, You used it, YOU still own it...

All the best Brett :)

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
If you ordered this through newegg they will usually refund a portion and charge a restocking fee, of course you'll have to pay shipping too. You'll get your full refund, but will be losing around 15-20 dollars from shipping and restocking fees.

It is in this link previously posted http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01357135#N92
it might not be fully updated but here as well the phenom X4 9600 is the fastest http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/M2N68-LA_(Narra3-GL8E).html

ChosterF

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
The best CPU would be the phenom x4 9850 for the M2N68-LA (Narra3). The only quad core it can run is on the agena cores below 95W. the 9850 is the best CPU that fits those criteria.
i wouldn't think that your motherboard would need an update for it.