Sign in with
Your question

Hello, i want to remove my heat sink. there is a piece of thin metal at middle

Last response: in Motherboards
November 25, 2012 3:57:50 PM

Hello, i want to remove my heat sink. there is a piece of thin metal at middle bottom holding the heat sink down to the processor. i can sort of push it down but it doesn't come loose and pop up. how can i remove the heat sink without damaging any thing?
November 25, 2012 4:02:55 PM

where is a better place to get a answer for this question?
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 4:05:22 PM

What socket is it?

new AMD ones have a lever you flip over to allow easy release of the heatsink.

Older AMD and Intel had a spring clip bar that had a slot for a flat screw driver on one side to push down and out away from the cpu for release.

Google image of what I THINK you have.

Please take care as old cpus did not have any way to prevent you from damaging the core if you are too rough with it.
m
l
November 25, 2012 4:10:14 PM

i had the old intel spring clip bar, so all i need is a flat head screw driver?
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 4:15:14 PM

yes you push down(in the slot for it) then away from the heatsink. take care not to slip as it is easy to do. Some aftermarket ones had a large part you could push by hand, but I am guessing this is old stock.

To reinstall you push down then just out slightly and it should slide back over the plastic lug.
m
l
November 25, 2012 4:19:11 PM

i have been pusting down on the spring clip bar with something like a flat head but i dont understand what im supposed to do.
m
l
November 25, 2012 4:34:59 PM

alright i got it off with a flat head!!!
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
November 25, 2012 5:00:31 PM

push down then lean the screw drive handle over the heatsink pushing the clip away from the heatsink. As soon as the clip is off the plastic tab on the socket you should be able to gently let the spring clip up then remove the other side without any issues.
m
l
June 25, 2013 1:26:02 PM

Hi. I have a similar or the same problem as here but I cannot figure out how the metal bar in the middle of the heat sink sould possibly go over the plastic think. I can push the bar down but not forward, like over. How can I lean it over the heatsink? You mean to use the screwdriver as a lever? It doesnot go away from the heatsink.. Do I push at the right end?
Photo here http://postimg.org/image/vwojytygh/953e3022/
Thanks
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
June 25, 2013 6:27:07 PM

Sort of.

You press down to get it clear under the clip then pull towards the heatsink(making the clip pull away from the socket) to make the bottom move away from the plastic lug. At this point it should be able to move straight up and release.
m
l
July 11, 2013 2:38:18 PM

nukemaster said:
Sort of.

You press down to get it clear under the clip then pull towards the heatsink(making the clip pull away from the socket) to make the bottom move away from the plastic lug. At this point it should be able to move straight up and release.

m
l
July 11, 2013 2:40:56 PM

I almost forgot to thank you. I had to use two screwdrivers simultaneously, one to push and the other to move it away from the heatsink. Thaky.
m
l
!