idea...homebrew DVD upgrade for Dreamcast

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

Has anybody in the DC dev community ever thought of making a homebrew
DVD upgrade? I would think that if the DC had a DVD drive, games like
Grand Theft Auto III would be possible (although GTA III would probably
push the hardware to the limit). Wouldn't the DC need a BIOS upgrade
for such a thing?

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

DarthChaosofRSPW@gmail.com wrote:

> Has anybody in the DC dev community ever thought of making a homebrew
> DVD upgrade? I would think that if the DC had a DVD drive, games like
> Grand Theft Auto III would be possible (although GTA III would probably
> push the hardware to the limit). Wouldn't the DC need a BIOS upgrade
> for such a thing?

No, DVDs run natively off the Dreamcast, if you put in the right drive,
altho you need a program with the right DRM info to play movies (similar
to the dongle on the XBox, but it's a swap disc on the DC). In fact, the
new slim PS2's can be disassembled and their DVD drives will replace the
GD-ROM drive in the first Japanese release Dreamcasts (you'll need to
swap the original drive back in if you want to play GD-ROM games, but
you can put a couple of them on a DVD and run your backups in the DVD
drive). Obviously you'd need an emulator to get GTA3 to run, but since
there are already a couple of dozen stand alone emulators for CD-basd
PS2 games on he DC (games like Gradius III and IV, Taiko Drum Master,
etc.), there will probably be one soon, now that everyone is putting the
PS2 slimline drives in their DCs.

(Note: that was all lies.)