Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

600W Too Much?

Last response: in Components
Share
January 25, 2012 1:16:40 AM

Hello All,

I'm building a new system, and was wondering how many watts the system needs


CPU: AMD Phenom ii x4 960

Motherboard: MSI 880G-E45

GPU: GeForce GTX 460

RAM: Corsair DDR3 1333 8GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 5900 RPM 2TB

No Optical Drive

PSU: ??? Maybe: OCZ 600W ModXStream

I've used the Newegg power supply calculator, and i get a number of 550W, but is that much really necessary in my system? It seems if the cpu uses 95W, and the gpu uses 150W, the mobo, ram,and the psu shouldn't use up the remaining 300W. So any suggestion on the wattage, or how what brand of power supply I should use (in the 25-35$ range)? Also, looking at those specs, are there anything that will be bottle-necking the rest of the system? This will be mostly used for gaming, multimedia, and software (photoshop etc.)

Thanks to all, any help would be appreciated

More about : 600w

a c 111 ) Power supply
January 25, 2012 1:26:26 AM

psu calculators aren't true. Though I would go with an i3-2100 build. A quality 500w would work. Corsair's cx500w would be a good choice-
January 25, 2012 1:30:55 AM

thats what ive been thinking, 450-500w should suffice, what about the bottle necking? Anything that will slow down the system? I also didnt mention that the processor is a black edition
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2012 1:33:38 AM

the cx430 or earthwatt 380d would be enough, the psu calculators like to inflate the amount so crappy psu's can be ineffective at specified wattage and still function.

your system will not draw more than 350 watts fully loaded even if you OC.
January 25, 2012 1:40:51 AM

i see, looking through newegg, it seems as if a 430w corsair is the same price as the 600w one ( with mail in rebate). but is there something that would fit the budget? between 25-35$
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2012 1:49:16 AM

If you are wanting to do any significant overclocking you may want to give yourself a little watt cushion.

I have had 2 out of 2 Thermaltake 430 units made by HEC die on me. Could be a fluke, but I won't buy them again.
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2012 1:50:47 AM

the corsair >> thermaltake as well.
a c 273 ) Power supply
January 25, 2012 1:51:03 AM

You're going to need a decent psu with 2 x PCI-E 6 pins for a GTX 460.
Quality 500W+ units have that feature,anything below that won't have 2 6pins.
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W = good deal!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I own two of these and never encountered a problem yet.
don't cheap out on a critical component=you'll be sorry!
January 25, 2012 2:01:33 AM

thanks to all for the responses, it will most likely be the corsair or 430w psu ( or something cheaper if i can find it) because the 10 dollar rebate is gift card which i am really in no need of.

Best solution

a c 273 ) Power supply
January 25, 2012 2:12:49 AM
Share

AKTAL said:
thanks to all for the responses, it will most likely be the corsair or 430w psu ( or something cheaper if i can find it) because the 10 dollar rebate is gift card which i am really in no need of.

The Corsair 430CX isn't a good choice imo.
http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gtx-460/sp...
You need 2 x 6pin.
Either get the Corsair 500W or the OZC.= both have 2x6pin = to power the gpu.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
Others
OCZ ZS Series 550W
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=62391&vpn=OCZ%2DZS550W...
a c 273 ) Power supply
January 25, 2012 2:14:16 AM

totalknowledge said:
If you are wanting to do any significant overclocking you may want to give yourself a little watt cushion.

I have had 2 out of 2 Thermaltake 430 units made by HEC die on me. Could be a fluke, but I won't buy them again.

Not a fluke =they're junk!
January 25, 2012 2:25:19 AM

so for me to have a good quality 400-500W psu, i'll most likely have to look into the 35-50$ range, right? i've also noticed alot of the less popular brands on the market, which offer 500w+ for nearly half the price. would you say they are worth the price?
a c 273 ) Power supply
January 25, 2012 2:33:34 AM

2444888,13,1101981 said:
so for me to have a good quality 400-500W psu, i'll most likely have to look into the 35-50$ range, right? i've also noticed alot of the less
You're going to have to spend $60 to get a good unit.
The ones i linked are good quality units and have MIR's.
Even the good Rosewill units cost that much.
Do what you like,i gave you my recommendations.
January 25, 2012 2:43:47 AM

ill look into it, and out of all the choises, those are probably what im going to go with,
a b ) Power supply
January 25, 2012 2:51:20 AM

Hey we are throwing you a bone with the specials and rebates. Its not like we are recommending quality, and expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That one got a less than perfect Jonnyguru review based mostly on the price and some sleeving that offended OklahomaWolf... he seems to be something of a sleeving fanatic.
January 26, 2012 12:26:16 AM

davcon said:
The Corsair 430CX isn't a good choice imo.
http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gtx-460/sp...
You need 2 x 6pin.
Either get the Corsair 500W or the OZC.= both have 2x6pin = to power the gpu.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
Others
OCZ ZS Series 550W
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=62391&vpn=OCZ%2DZS550W...


many thanks to davcon, i did decide to buy the ocz 550w psu, great deal, only 35$, once again thanks davcon, and thanks to all.



January 26, 2012 12:26:54 AM

Best answer selected by AKTAL.
!