Closed Solved

Upgrading from 8800GT

I've been looking at getting a new GPU as I've recently upgraded the rest of my components and below is roughly the details.


USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Playing upcoming games like Skyrim and Battlefield 3 on as high as possible.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia 8800GT with a Cougar 750w Psu

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: i5 2500k, MSi P67A-GD60 Motherboard with 8Gb DDR3 1333MHz

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'm open to about any brand of either ATi or Nvidia.



I've been looking alot between the GTX560 Ti and the GTX570, but I can't really decide whether I should go one up from the 560 Ti or not.

Any advice would be appreciated.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading 8800gt
  1. I would get a 570 gtx or a 480 GTX super clocked which has slightly higher performance than a single 570 GTX. Or you could get a ATI 6970 for the same price. Although I'm a huge Nvidia guy so I have a slight bias towards Nvidia. But I can tell you this that I don't like AMD drivers because they are so glitchy with textures in some games(AKA some updates make the textures look like rainbows and some fix it). I have never had an Issue with Nvidia Drivers.

    Depending on where you look either at Tigerdirect or Newegg, they both have all those cards for about ~330-350$
  2. With that budget you could get two GTX 560 ti's on ebay.

    You could also get a 2GB 6970.
  3. Best answer
    I would either get the HD 6850 or HD 6870 for now or a regular GTX 560 for now BECAUSE AMD is releasing their 7xxx series by the end of this year and nVIDIA will introduce their newer generation Keplar in 2012. In other words, don't spend so much now and wait for the newer generation that's coming out PRETTY SOON :]. If you're rich, you can get the 560 ti or gtx 570. They already established themselves as good performance although a bit pricey.
  4. Best answer selected by VindicatoR.
  5. Thanks for all the feedback.

    After considering it now, I didn't even think to include the prospects of new releases from both companies and did some research on that now and think getting something mid-range for now.

    As I think I'll personally be better off to consider then getting a mid-high range card instead when the new stuff hits, which would render a expensive purchase now redundant.
  6. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics