Motherboard Power switch nightmare

drogheda1

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Ive been helping a friend upgrade and i got him an AM2 board (abit NF-M2SV) he wanted me to put it into one of 2 cases he had (an old dell dimension 8300 and this fujitsu thing) the trouble is i am having trouble connecting the power switch up, as the swith, l.e.d, rst ones on these cases are in 1 block rather than individual 2 pin connections-Both cases are like this. i have tried sticking it in all ways, i did manage to get the power on and the computer going but it just tuned off when it got to the windows loading screen, Is this because of the switch panel on the mobo? SO FRUSTRATING!

Possibly. Let me give you one example. If the case power switch is attached to a (Dell) circuit board that requires feedback from a cpu fan. If the fan is not spinning within a certain amount of time, the system can shut off.

I'm not saying Dell does or ever did exactly that, but I have found little circuit boards and proprietary wiring in several models. For the Power On switch, you can bypass that whole scenario by finding the wires originating at the power switch and making sure they are directly connecting to those two motherboard pins. Rinse/repeat for reset sw if you want it, etc.

The power and reset switches are momentary contact switches. You can't go wrong with them. HDD and led leads do have polarity, if it does not work, reverse them.

If you happen to connect the reset switch to a led pin, you will get strange results. I know, I did once:(.

If you can't figure out the case front panel, you can buy a front panel kit for a couple of bucks like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Computer-host-case-Front-Panel-Power-Reset-Switch-Cable-/400250470735?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d30c9814f

The power supply switch is a momentarily contacting one, if the switch contacts are permanently shorted then the power supply will go on and then go off after about 4 seconds. If the power supply went off after a time period much greater than 4 seconds then the power supply probably can't supply the load of the new motherboard.

anito1990

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

I accidentally unplug the power/reset/led to its panel now i don't know where its is plug.. but if i plug the power to the led pin does my motherboard be destroy?? pleas help..

anito1990

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

thank's for that.... I'll try it:)