Where should I place my new case fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I have this case

http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/tempest_210

I ordered 2x 120mm fans and am wondering where I should place them in the case. I was thinking having them both at the front blowing the air in but have been reading some claims that it would not be ideal to have them both there. My other option would be to place 1 up top and 1 at the front. Which would be best for airflow?

The case itself includes 1x 140mm fan exhaust up top and 1x 120mm fan blow out back. Adding more case fans certainly is an option but I only have the 2 to work with for now. As a sidenote, cable management is not the best since some of my power connectors are shorter than expected. Many thanks

Solution
I'd use both as front intakes.
No point installing one as a side fan = intake or outtake(which makes no sense whatsoever)
Hot air rises,the only sensible and effective location for another outtake is a top mount.
I'd experiment with 2x120mm front or 1 front and the other as top exhaust.
I'd just put both in front though= alot of highly rated cases have 2x120mm front intakes
I have no idea where you read 2 front intakes isn't good, that's the first time i've heard it!
I'd use both as front intakes.
No point installing one as a side fan = intake or outtake(which makes no sense whatsoever)
Hot air rises,the only sensible and effective location for another outtake is a top mount.
I'd experiment with 2x120mm front or 1 front and the other as top exhaust.
I'd just put both in front though= alot of highly rated cases have 2x120mm front intakes
I have no idea where you read 2 front intakes isn't good, that's the first time i've heard it!

Solution

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Since you already have a back and top outtake, you should install them both as front intake.

That gives you 4 fans moving air in a path from the front of the case and out through the top and back. This is what it is already doing, you are just augmenting the process. Anything else will start causing eddies, and places where there is no air movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.