No Post Screen but system loads to desktop

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
So this is very odd. Last week, I had to update the BIOS for the motherboard to accept the IB CPU. I previously had the SB i5-2400 and went to i7-3770k. I updated the BIOS from 3xx to 3402 (the one that accepts the 3770k which happens to be the latest BIOS update). I followed all instructions and didn't get any error messages. When I cleared CMOS (jumper), turne on system, it told me to go to setup (i think press f2). I loaded defaults, saved, and exited; from there on, here is the weirdness:

1- System restarts
2- Monitor is on as LG logo is there
3. Monitor goes into power save mode as system loads
4. Monitor comes out of power save mode and system loads to desktop (no error, no hangups)
5. So I lost the ability to go into BIOS?

Anyone have/had this issue? Fixable? How in the world do I go into BIOS now?

Motherboard: Asus P8z68-V Pro/Gen3 Rev- 1.xx BIOS- 3402
CPU- i7-3770k (not OC)
Monitor: W53 LG 24" 1080p (DVI connected)

I'm guessing that you tried pressing the F2 key or whatever your motherboard's instructions say to use, right when you turn on the system even though you can't see anything on the screen right?

One thought is to make sure that you have both the connector into the monitor on slot 1 (like PC1) if it has multiple connections for HDMI etc. and also the same on the video card if it has more than one HDMI connections.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

I thought it might be in the wrong spot, so I put the DVI in the other slot on the video card before I turned on my system; Nope, same thing.

"usually when you see a company's logo, is when you should hit the F2 key or whatever to get into the bios."
This is the thing...I don't even see it. Screen is black during whole POST phase. I go from LG logo to Windows desktop.