Best Answers??

kaikow

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Recently, I've gotten a few messages asking me to mark the "best answer" in some of my recent threads.

In many cases, a thread receives several useful responses, leading to a final answer.
It might be better to mark a thread as SOLVED as one reply need not stand out from the others.
It's the joint contributions and back/forth that oft leads to a solution

In some cases, NONE of the replies of a thread are of any use. In this case, I'd like to mark te thread as CLOSED, perhaps including a reply on how I solved the problem, if it was solved, using other resources, or sometimes I just find a solution on my own.

And, in some cases, ALL of the replies in a thread may be (almost) equally useful. This thread should be marked as SOLVED. Maybe even marked as a "best thread"?

Sometimes a reply will really stand out. Perhaps, such replies can be turned into a FAQ, if the author is willing to put in a bit of time.

Is there a mechanism for searching for "best answers" for particular topics? That would be almost as good as a FAQ.

kaikow

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006

Can the starter of the thread edit the thread title?

randomizer

Champion

Generally yes, as long as you're using the US forum. If using the UK forum it can tell you that you don't have permission though, which is a bug that still hasn't been fixed and at this rate probably never will. The US forum doesn't normally have this problem. If you do run into issues, PM a moderator and we can change it for you.

To clarify, use the full edit function, not quick edit

Unfortunately not with the current system.

randomizer

Champion
I don't see why they'd get any less by redirecting everyone here to click ads. It's just another thing they need to pay someone to maintain, and it's really not maintained that well... Maybe they don't pay someone to maintain it.