Thoughts on Thermaltake V4 and bundled 450w psu?

T1LuX

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I'm thinking of buying a thermaltake v4 from msy, it comes with a 450w 'silent' psu and I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on it, especially with bundled psu's

www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=1041

I will be running a gts250 (needs a 6pin pcie connector) and probably an x3 455, and basically, I wanna know whether the bundled psu will be able to handle it

another thing, my mobo (Asus m4n98td evo) has an 8pin 12v connector

as long as it can run those components I'm happy, I will upgrade the psu later wen I upgrade other parts

any thoughts/suggestions welcome

scottiemedic

Distinguished
The specs are fine at 450W, as long as you're only running the one GPU, but I don't like the website not announcing what connectors it has.

Are there other sources you can find that describe what kinds of what connectors it has? I would *assume* that being newer it would come with 8pin EPS and 6 pin PCI-e as standard, but I've been fooled before thinking one thing and getting another.

T1LuX

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
found this, and they don't seem to like thermaltake bundled psu's

www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Thermaltake_PSUs

even though there's a chance the bundled psu's are absolutely fine, I think I'll stay on the safe side and buy both separate

scottiemedic

Distinguished
I would just on basis of $75 is less than I'd pay for a case OR PSU separate, and they offer both for that? That's what worried me about them not having more specs about the PSU.

T1LuX

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
yeh, its very hard to find specs for certain bundled psu's, and kinda like u stated, it makes people suspicious.

I'll probably just stick with the cx430 I was gonna get before

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
The CX430 is a great buy. Recommended for almost all budget builds.

Antec Neo 520w was also on sale at NewEgg yesterday for something like $40 - also a great buy at that price, I'm not sure if that offer is still applicable though.

T1LuX

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
thanks andrianperry

unfortunately newegg isnt available for me :( as i live in australia, MSY is a great alternative with cheap prices so it isnt too much of a let down

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Yes, looking at that site, the Corsair CX430 does seem like your best option considering price and your needs.

Edit: Looking at their case options I would go with the Antec 300. the Coolermaster RC-371 is a decent budget case but is sorely lacking cable management (also Antec has just released an updated version of the 300 case named Three Hundred Two).