Ati radeon 6970 no display

Neutron777

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Hello tech-eons of the world, Im having trouble with my new rig. I just got bought a brand new IBUYPOWER am566xlc. The graphics card is a ati radeon 6970. At first try, the computer turns on but there is no display out detected by my hdtv. I have tried each of the dvi output connections as well as the hdmi output. I can tell it is trying to output a signal because when I turn the computer on, the "no signal" display on the hd tv dissappears for a few seconds but then reappears. The graphics card is sitting in a PCIe slot (16x). I replaced the card with an old ati hd radeon 4650 in the same slot and used the dvi output and it worked. So I dont know if it is so much a problem with the graphics card or the hd tv. the MB has to PCIe slots, 1 16x and 1 4x. I guess I should mention that the MB is a "Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3. Sorry about my horrible explanation, I havent slept in two days because I've been trying to get this problem solved. I should mention also that I tried seating both ati cards in, the 4650 in the PCIe 4x and the 6970 in the PCIe 16x and no luck from either output. Thanks for any help guys, it is much appreciated

Have you tried the computer w/6970 installed on a regular Computer monitor to ensure the 6970 works. If it works then:

(1) Is the hdtv HDCP enabled, it probably is, but if not that could be the problem. Some devices refuse to output to a tv that is not HDCP - Have a Sony Blu-ray player that will not work on one of my older hdtv's, works fine on a newer hdtv.

(2) more probable - the 6970 is not recognizing the hdtv. It requires a signal back telling the GPU what freq to operate at. The GPU is not recognizing the TV and is setting the output resolution to a funcky value that the tv does not work at. I have a P2770 hdtv/monitor and when I first power on it shows a default resolution, But the Monitor recognizes it and continues to boot/show on the screen until Windows is loaded then the resolution chances to 1080. Have two computers connected (1) an I5-750 w/ATI 5770 connected to VGA input, (2) A I5-2500k w/ATI 6870 vis dvi and (3) a stand alone DVD Recorder connected to the hdmi input (Has Cable input and use to record TV shows).

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

double check the 6970's power pins? requires a 6 and 4 right? if you used a modular psu perhaps you need a 8 to 6 pin for the 6

Neutron777

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Ya I tried a different monitor but I am kind of apprehensive of it as well. I was thinking that maybe the actual HDMI and VGA/DVI cables might not be permitting the data transmission required by the GPU. I really think this is more an issue with the monitor, or at least I hope it is. Do you know if there are monitor/HDTV requirements for this graphics card? By the way thank you guys for the help, truly much appreciated.