Sup guys

First time posting here.

Alright, just bought a new rig which contains:
i5 2500k
GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
Corsair Vengence 8GB
Coolermaster Silent M Pro 850W
Graphics undecided

Into PC gaming and I updated my rig so I'm ready for Battlefield 3. Had a look at different cards and just cant decide what to go for. I was looking at the Sapphire 6950 2GB but decided I could spend an extra $100 so I'm now looking at 2 cards. The Gigabyte 6970 OverClocked or the EVGA GTX 570 SuperClocked. I just can't pick one. I seen a review on the GTX570 and it beat the 6970 in most games tested but the 6970 was a reference card. I'm guessing if they reviewed the OC edition it would be a different story. So guys, what will it be? I don't play favourites with the Nvidia or ATi, I just want the best card for the money. Any help clearing my head and helping me decide is much aprecciated. Thanks

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17478
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17239
(P.S The prices on this website are a rip off and I will be able to find these cards cheaper)
12 answers Last reply
More about gigabyte 6970
  1. Do you play ( or plan to play ) PhysX games ?
  2. Otherwise i would take the 6970 because of the VRAM.
  3. Both cards cost around the same.
    You got two options. Either the GTX 570 or the HD 6970 ( Both factory OC'd of course ).
    What sort of games are you thinking of playing apart from BF3 ?
    The 570 will do you great for shader intensive and physX games and the Radeon card will do you good if you're looking forward to play games with triple monitors. :)
  4. Thanks for the replies. I'm not entirley sure what games support PhysX, I think the only one that supports it that I play is Mafia 2. Am I missing alot?
    I currently play stuff like Bad Company 2, Source games( TF2, L4D2 etc.), bit of CoD, Dirt 2, StarCraft 2. I also play Crysis and Warhead every so often. List goes on lol. I pick up games off Steam when there's sales, so its always expanding. My HD4850(from my old rig) serves me fine in these games but I want to comfortably handle BF3 at very high settings.
  5. At what resolutions do you play those games ?
    Are you thinking of an eyefinity setup ? :)
  6. I will be buying a 22" or 23" LED monitor that will be at 1920x1080. Not really thinking of a multiple screen setup. is there really any point or advantage with it in gaming?
  7. The GTX 570 in this case would do good for you then.
  8. TractorRed said:
    Sup guys

First time posting here.

Alright, just bought a new rig which contains:
    i5 2500k
    GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
    Corsair Vengence 8GB
    Coolermaster Silent M Pro 850W
    Graphics undecided

Into PC gaming and I updated my rig so I'm ready for Battlefield 3. Had a look at different cards and just cant decide what to go for. I was looking at the Sapphire 6950 2GB but decided I could spend an extra $100 so I'm now looking at 2 cards. The Gigabyte 6970 OverClocked or the EVGA GTX 570 SuperClocked. I just can't pick one. I seen a review on the GTX570 and it beat the 6970 in most games tested but the 6970 was a reference card. I'm guessing if they reviewed the OC edition it would be a different story. So guys, what will it be? I don't play favourites with the Nvidia or ATi, I just want the best card for the money. Any help clearing my head and helping me decide is much aprecciated. Thanks

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17478
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17239
    (P.S The prices on this website are a rip off and I will be able to find these cards cheaper)

6970 would be a much better option if you plan on high resolutions. The 570 has an obvious vram flaw.

If you ever plan on using crossfire//sli. Then I would suggest you even back track to the 6950 save a bit of money, and crossfire them. I would never suggest a 570 unless you plan on playing 720p over 1080p -- or are a die hard physx // tessellation junky? (no one is)

It's not that the 570 is poor by any means. But why pay more, when you aren't getting more? AMD always pushes the price and have been leading the gpu game for a while now, albeit by a thin line.
  9. I was actually thinking off going for the 6950 to crossfire them a few weeks ago but I have a little more money to spend and not sure if I really want to muck around with two cards. So what I really want is the better card. I wont be running a multi monitor setup and I dont really play games that use PhysX, so what do I do? I will be going to buy it in the coming days and really want a decision. Leaning towrads 6970 OC at the moment
  10. In that case
    You should definitely go for a HD 6970 factory OC'd.
    If you're going to CF or SLi cards, you might have a few headaches considering in some games and sometimes it may cause micro-stutterings etc.
    So, HD 6970 will be the card to recommend. :)
  11. Ok HD 6970 OC it is!! Like I said, I was leaning towards the 6970 and I know that the shop has them in stock. Thanks for helping me decide! :)
  12. Your welcome. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics