All my peripheral drivers disable randomly then re-enable.

byrnez

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Okay so for the last few weeks whenever I have been on the computer either being on Facebook or playing Cod 4, randomly my keyboard + mouse will turn off (lights turn off) and any button I press is unresponsive. It takes about 20-25 seconds and then every is connected again and is fine.
As soon as they turn off, the audio file that plays whenever you pull your USB out plays.
Now today (25/01/2012 in Australia) at least 3 times an hour, all my peripherals disconnect and this is extremely frustrating when trying to get work down.
My wireless adapter for the internet, speaks, keyboard, mouse and hard drive all seem to disconnect and take 20 seconds to reconnect.
I'm suspecting its the back USB ports (6) that are all disconnecting but I want to know why.
If anyone could help on the matter it would be greatly appreciated, as I've never had a problem like this before.

popatim

Titan
Since the 'lights go out' I'm going to suggest that the voltage regulator running the 5v usb bus is experiencing problems and dropping out. Try disconnecting the external drive to lighten the load and see if it lasts longer before dropping out again.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Well, I would have expected the USB ports to take their +5 V straight from the PSU, but feed it through a current limiter that also lets the OS measure it. So that would cause problems elsewhere. Can you try them in the front USB ports, or different back ones?

byrnez

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
If I plug the keyboard into any other usb port aside from one on the back and one on the front, it won't be recognized as a keyboard by Windows.
So basically I have 6 ports in the back, and 2 at the front.
It only works on 1 from each, because Logitech are frustrating and say that their products will be recognized by Windows, they don't release drivers for a lot of their products including the G110.

Also @popatim try disconnecting my external hard drive or ?