My 5.1 sound card is not working.Please Help.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vibhashchadnra2010

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I have a sound card Cmedia CMI8738/C3DX PCI audio Device.Its not working. I know its old but it should work. I connected my 5.1 surround sound system to it using Stereo RCA cables. One to the green and other to the blue but nothing happens. Even tried plugging my earphones to the green one but no sound.In device manager its shows 3 devices - Realtek HD audio(Enabled), CMI8738/C3DX PCI audio Device(Enabled) and Unsupported game port(Enabled - It appeared into the device manager after plugging sound card). I can't find its software for windows 7 so installed the XP one. I even tried run it without soundcard it worked but those cables have something around them and because of that I can't plug them in properly. Please Help Me to run my 5.1

Solution
Even though the devices are enabled. Make sure the one your trying to use it set to the DEFAULT.

Close whatever application your using that your trying to get sound from, be it iTunes or whatever. Make the correct audio device the default. Re-open the application and try it.

If your running Windows 7 and you are using Windows XP drivers, there's a good chance it wont work. Not all old devices are supported by new OS drivers. If this is the case, there's not usually a work around and you will be unable to use this sound card with a Windows 7 machine.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Even though the devices are enabled. Make sure the one your trying to use it set to the DEFAULT.

Close whatever application your using that your trying to get sound from, be it iTunes or whatever. Make the correct audio device the default. Re-open the application and try it.

If your running Windows 7 and you are using Windows XP drivers, there's a good chance it wont work. Not all old devices are supported by new OS drivers. If this is the case, there's not usually a work around and you will be unable to use this sound card with a Windows 7 machine.

Solution
I can't find its software for windows 7 so installed the XP one.

That would do it.

First and formost, C-Media doesn't sell soundcards; they make the chip that other brands use. What is the exact make of the soundcard?

Secondly:

I connected my 5.1 surround sound system to it using Stereo RCA cables. One to the green and other to the blue but nothing happens

Because they are different hookups. Home Theatre systems use RCA connections, PC systems use TRS. Simmilar jack sizes, but different output formats. You need to connect using TRS to RCA converters to use a home theatre system properly.

Also, you can't just randomly use different colored jacks; they all have an assigned purpose. Green is front stereo out, pink is microphone in, blue is line input, etc.

vibhashchadnra2010

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Also, you can't just randomly use different colored jacks; they all have an assigned purpose. Green is front stereo out, pink is microphone in, blue is line input, etc.

I know that sir. You were software wasn't the problem, I didn't knew that I had to change default sound in the WMP to the PCI audio device.Did it and it worked.

vibhashchadnra2010

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Thanks buddy it worked. First I tried to Disable the Realtek HD audio and the 5.1 worked but i listen to earphones so which were no longer working. Then saw your comment to change the default device in the player.It worked like charm. Now I need new audio cables because I am hearing a constant buzz at high volume sound or a new sound card. Once again thanks for your help.Just one last question. How to change default device in VLC? Can't find it.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
You shouldn't need to change the audio device in VLC, just in windows and then applications such as VLC should use whatever is set to default unless otherwise specified.

I don't have VLC on this works computer unfortunately so I cant give you a path to find it. No doubt its under options or preferences somewhere though.

Status
Not open for further replies.