Unbranded Cases?

Naf456

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Hello.
I just looking at buying unbranded cases.... for... a New Business, I'm only 17, thus it's really just a Dream at the moment, but I just wondered how Dell and HP, etc... find components for there computers?
One of them being unbranded cases. I imagine, Dell maybe HP buy OEM Cases? am I Right?
if so, where do they buy them from?

Also would it be legal if I was to buy unbranded Cases and Label them? or would I have to make a contract with the company to say I have permission?

I have repaired quite a lot of Dell Machines (That says something :/) and everything seems generic...

I have searched and read that you can't actually buy Unbranded GPU's - and the motherboards are usally Foxcon...
I also here foxconn makes unbranded cases?

The Purpose of the cases are for general computing- so no LED fans, and bright noise reactive LED Bars (oh...how boring right?)

And Maybe, Just maybe, if I have enough guts to finish it, I could Install my Own Operating System I'm developing, on....

This is my post, but really, my friends actually wants to build the PC's while I build The Software.... But He wants to use CM cases , which IMO are heavily branded....

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Big companies talk directly to companies that produce components they need and make a contract to let them produce what they need, the way they need it. Often it's just a different name on the same product, aka "brand".

Using a brand is not really a problem, unless you count in a possibly higher "brand price factor". Which means the price for a brand might be higher, because of it being popular. Which is not necessarily because of quality reasons.

You can resell a lot of stuff, question remains how you keep your price competitive while still getting something out of it.

That's why you should buy components without the "sale tax" (or whatever it's called where you live) applied. Your normally need a business licence to buy them that way and you need to find a retailer that sells stuff like that. You then apply the tax and your little "extra fee" when you sale stuff yourself. At least that's how it works over here.

You could also directly ask the manufacturers, ofc. But no idea if quantities might be an issue if you purchase directly from them. Aka they might require you to buy a lot of stuff at once (large numbers per product), which could kill your budget.

Naf456

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Yeah, thanks for the replys. It was only really a fantasy.
But, again, it seems you need millions to innovate these day :/ ....
I'd imagine companies like CM and antec wouldn't bother about making custom case for a business that is about .01% the size of businesses they usually deal with.

Looks like I need to sell software first to get enough money, and hopefully be able to archieve to create a corporate image that is reconiseable national at least, and usually with the inter, if it's good it spreads fast- if it's bad it spreads faster :D

Hopefully if that is successful, move over to embedded systems... Then maybe the consumer market for general purpose computers....

Cool....

Obviously WAY more complicated then it sounds- dam I wish I took business studies....

G

It's not compllicated it is quite simple, i am only 14 and i am running a computer business
www.tekadroid.webeden.co.uk
you also dont need business studies
dont give up keep looking

I buy computer cases from china that are generally sold as generic but asked for my own brand on them (Qubz). For example:
4140JdGTZIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

for sale on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/aluminium-possibly-smallest-motherboard-slimline/dp/B0064MOOQO/ref=sr_1_28?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1328017543&sr=1-28
I have registered the logo as a trade mark in the UK but I didn't have to it just protects me if someone else tries to copy it or claims they have a right to it. I am sure there are 1000s of generic cases you could get branded as yours or if you ordered a minimum quantity you could have them made to your own design.

as long as its not infringing on any1 elses copyright you can label the pc's as you see fit... i dont think you can de-badge a case and re-badge it as your own as you would be infringing on intellectual copyright of the designer/manufacturer. so you would need permission from them to use there product in such a way. then you just have to register it as your brand to protect it... if its a commercial venture, you will have to get all the appropriate documentation to open a business.

at least thats how it goes in the uk...