Should I upgrade or wait?

joshernater9

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Well, I play alot of High end games. And so a couple years or around that I got a gaming computer. With new games coming out, I was wondering if i should upgrade my computer, or should I just wait until its more outdated? I played Battlefield 3 Beta, and it ran alright, but I had to put it on High graphics instead of max and turn down a few settings...Well, here are my comp stats:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

But yeah, I play alot of high end games, and its nice being able to run on max without a problem..But I don't want to waste money upgrading when i should wait...If i did upgrade, all i would do is switch out the Processor and Video Card probably..What does everyone else think? And if i did get one, Which one would you suggest?

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
For better performance NOW, try upgrading your GPU to a HD6950 or GTX560 Ti.

7XXX series cards are due at year's end and 6XX series a little later (I think).

Waiting for stock/reviews/price, you would probably wait till Q1 2012 before you could get your hands on one.

The other components are OK.

jamesvini

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I had this same dilema, You could get one now or wait till fancier stuff comes out.
You just have to bite the bullet and do it, there will always be more cooler things to get. I recently got the high end intel pc from the charts tab and it plays all my highend games pretty damn good. i would suggest going for that. Keep your old computer for a minecraft pc :)

joshernater9

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Hmm..You think it would be worth getting a 590? Or you think it would be just fine staying at a 560?

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
IMO. I would stay away from the 590.

From memory, it was a bit underwhelming when released and even had an issue where some caught on fire. Not sure if it has been rectified.

Performance wise, it under performed a HD6990.

For your setup, I would recommend a single 560 Ti (I think you prefer NVIDIA) see how performance is, then SLI down the track.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-review/1

Remember, if going SLI route, make sure you have a solid PSU.

Overclock your CPU a little to balance system.

joshernater9

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Yeah, I think i'll do just that..I too heard that the 590's had a overheating problem...

I'll probably just do a 560 Ti for now, And in a couple years i might get a completely new system..I'm waiting for 3D to really take off ;) Thanks for your help :D