New system not booting (CPU error LED)

EarpWJ

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
System specs:

-New Parts-
Intel i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro (revision 3)
2x 4GB CORSAIR Vengeance DDR3 1600 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B) (checked and it is on the QVL list)
ZALMAN CNPS9900 cooler

-Old parts-
Thermaltake Purepower 500 NP (500watt ATX 12v 2.0)
EVGA Gefore 8800GT

Problem: turn on power supply, get green LED on mobo, push power switch, fans spin up, get a quick light up on GPU error LED (not solid just a flash) and also a solid CPU error LED. Fan spin down, LEDs go off. A few seconds later it repeats.

What I have tried: After the first issue of not booting and checking all connections I removed everything from the case and rebuild the system on cardboard, remounting the CPU. Nothing plugged in but power/cpu/ram, same problem. Removed GPU, same problem. Tested both stick of RAM individually, same problem. Tested no ram, same problem. Removed 4 pin 12v, nothing but 24pin plugged in, no ram, same problem.

Is this a bad motherboard? Anything else I can test? The motherboard was a openbox return at Fry's. :sarcastic:

EarpWJ

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008

Thanks, Ill bookmark that! Here is my check list:

1. yes, extensivly

2. -=here=- might be a problem: The motherboard lists nothing but ATX 12v 2.0 and at least 350watt, I my PSU lists that it has ATX 12v 2.0 and has 500watts, in the checklist, I see in the pick either a 8 pin or -=TWO=- 4 pins. Is this a problem that mine has only ONE 4 pin?

3. Yes

4. Yes, and verified a few times

5. Yes

6. Yes, answered in OP

7. Yes

8. Yes, answered in OP

9. thats funny, but I am sure it has happened :eek:

10. double checked before as its my first 1155

11. None seen, I checked throughly, as far as the naked eye can see

12. definitely none on pins, (this has to be over my 15th cpu install)

13. Yes, its a Zalman CNPS9900, havent used this type before but they had a little resistor to put in-between the connectors, tried it with and without. Yes I only torqued enough for the screw to stop, didnt over tighten, used all sorts of other Zalman after market coolers before, just never this type.

14. not stock, used the included compound, looked like artic silver type stuff

15. Yes just turned the system over a few times to check

16. Yes work on concrete and granite, use to doing the touch case with PSU plugged in/not on thing as I have done before (CompTia A++ cert)

17. I did unplug everything but PS, so Ill see what codes I get tommarow/latenight

18. Yes had nothing but pwr switch attached

19. :D yes silly (I know it happens)

20. Yes

21. Yes did a 20 min w/o battery while I had dinner

22. Not sure, doesnt the i5 2500k have integrated video? I figure I could at least reach the BIOS to get to that point? Either way, I dont get any screen at all, and the mobo has no video out.

23. Yes rebuilt it a few times.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
No if only 4 pin for CPU that's fine. No cpu intergrated video on that mobo. If still does not boot after checklist it sounds like bad mobo. Maybe that's why someone returned to Frys.

EarpWJ

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008

Misspost, sorry just tested the speaker, turns out I forgot that I had always used the case, I can hear a speaker click like usual, but no error code. I guess 1st thing tommarow I go back to Frys...

EarpWJ

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008

Thanks, I returned the mobo to frys, I couldnt find a P8P67 Pro which wasnt already returned once, so I found a P8P67 Evo, (ugh $20 more bucks). Of course the thing fired up with out a problem and is installing Win 7 now.