jonozilla

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
A bit of a N00b question but does my psu directly affect my fps in games as I have a GTX 550ti and only get 20fps on most games Skyrim I get around 17-19 and mass effect got around 19-23. My PSU is 350watts bequiet psu

It can, yes. You're definitely pushing that thing hard. If the PSU is unable to sustain 12V, the GPU will not be able to run full out and you lose performance.

What is your full system specs? You might have a bottleneck somewhere else.

jonozilla

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
AMD Bulldozer FX 4100
Inno3d GTX 550ti
PSU bequiet 350 watts
Win 7 64bit proffesionel
MSI 760gm mobo
8GB DDR3 RAM

That's odd. That would often indicate a CPU bottleneck, but the FX4100 shouldn't be an issue.

Are you using any mods in Skyrim? In particular any config changes (like ugridstoload)?

Also, you should make sure to download the Windows patches/hotfixes for Bulldozer CPUs ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594 )and install the newest GPU drivers from Nvidia. You might also have to update your motherboard BIOS (check the MSI website).

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I would say it more indirectly effects it. Assuming the GPU has all the power it needs, the fps is what it is... if your gpu is underpowered, it can't operate at full capacity.

That doesn't explain why changing graphics settings from high to low has almost no affect on performance. Low power GPUs can run fine at low settings and poorly at high.

jonozilla

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Batman Arkham City gets 20 fps and so does mass effect

Regardless of the setting? High vs low?

Have you tried anything I suggested? New BIOS? New drivers?

Also you might want to run GPUZ and task manager in the background to monitor CPU and GPU usage and temps.