Sign in with
Your question

Computer Reboots When Under Graphical Stress.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 26, 2011 8:15:04 PM

I just bought all these parts 5 days ago and got the computer up and running yesterday. Here are the specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
Motherboard: MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67
Graphics: MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
PSU: APEVIA JAVA ATX-JV650W 650W ATX12V / EPS12V

The problem I think is related to the graphics card or the Power supply but I'm not really sure. Once I installed windows 7 ( a clean install on a formatted Hard drive) and the drivers off of the Motherboard and Graphics card CD, I tried to run the Windows Experience Index ( the number rating test that windows offers ) and the first thing the test did was Directx3D 9 Aero Assessment and once the computer started that test it just suddenly rebooted, no Blue Screen or anything. I than updated the GPU drivers to the new Nvidia 280.26 and tried again. It rebooted in the same place. It also reboots when I start up some games and with others it works fine unless I turn up the resolution than it reboots. I turned off "Automatic Restart" option to try and get a error code but no luck, it still just goes restarts. Things I have tried are a Clean Boot, Disc Check and Windows Repair. I have measured the temps using "PC Wizard 2010" and the CPU is running between 34C-39C, the GPU is running at 35C and the Hard Drive is at 34C. I put my old MSI 8600GTS in this computer and ran the Windows Experience Index and different games and it worked fine, but it doesn't use as much power as the GTX460 does.

I am really stumped. If you could help that would be great! Thanks.
August 26, 2011 8:41:02 PM

You did plug the pci-e power connector into the video card right? Your PSU, if it's really 650W, can definitely handle your system. But I'm not sure if APEVIA is any better now than several years ago when I owned one of their PSU's, which turned out to be a real piece of $hit. This might not be your case though. It just sounds like the system is pulling too much power and resetting from being underpowered. I would ask about your secondary power connector for your motherboard but most baords won't post anyway if that's not connected as far as I'm aware.
m
l
August 26, 2011 8:43:13 PM

Thanks for your Reply. Yes i have both of the pic-e power connectors plugs connected to the graphics card.
m
l
Related resources
August 26, 2011 8:50:27 PM

Try it with just one plug and 0 plugged in, see how far it gets in either scenario. See if it gets any further with 0 extra power than it does with 1 or both pci-e power connections.
m
l
August 26, 2011 8:58:13 PM

If replacing the GPU solves the problem then that's where your problem is, I think. The 650 watt PSU should be sufficient for that rig but not excessively so. My guess is that there is something heat sensitive on your GPU card.
m
l
August 26, 2011 9:15:29 PM

Uninstall the all the Nvidia drivers. Download an run driversweeper to pull off everything NVIDIA related. Download and install newest drivers.

If you still get restarts you'll need to do something to isolate the GPU or PSU as the problem. As you've mentioned your 8600gt doesn't pull near the power that your GTX 460 pulls so it doesn't rule the GPU or the PSU out as the problem.

You'll either need to find another GPU that pulls as much power as your current GPU to try or you'll need to swap out the PSU for a known good one. 650 watts is plenty for a quality PSU, yours might just be low quality, and/or defective.

Lastly, if you still can't find the problem your GPU may need new firmware. Contact MSI and see if they have an update. I know some of the 400 and 500 series NVIDIA cards that are overclocked from the factory are slightly unstable because they aren't getting enough voltage, a little bump via firmware fixes that.
m
l
August 26, 2011 9:18:40 PM

ram1009 said:
If replacing the GPU solves the problem then that's where your problem is, I think. The 650 watt PSU should be sufficient for that rig but not excessively so. My guess is that there is something heat sensitive on your GPU card.

If he replaced his gtx 460 with another gtx 460 then I'd definitely agree. But he replaced it an 8600gts, which I thought used much less power than a gtx 460 and in that case would mean it could possibly be a power issue with his PSU. That is correct that an 8600gts uses much less power than a gtx 460 right? Let me know if I'm wrong by all means.
m
l
August 26, 2011 9:56:44 PM

I used Drive sweeper to delete all of the Nvidia drivers and than installed using the new ones from the Nvidia website , version 280.26. I tried it again and it did reboot like before. However, while i had no video drivers ( using only the stranded Windows drivers ) I ran the Windows Experience Index and it did get past the Directx3D 9 Aero Assessment but it failed the Video Playback test.
m
l
August 26, 2011 10:24:59 PM

Doubledime1010 said:
I used Drive sweeper to delete all of the Nvidia drivers and than installed using the new ones from the Nvidia website , version 280.26. I tried it again and it did reboot like before. However, while i had no video drivers ( using only the stranded Windows drivers ) I ran the Windows Experience Index and it did get past the Directx3D 9 Aero Assessment but it failed the Video Playback test.

Dude you get what you pay for. How much did you buy that PSU for? $30? that's how much it's going for at Newegg with a MIR.

Read this review on an APREVIA PSU.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Apevia-Turbolink...

Conclusion: We are amazed to discover that power supplies with fake wattages are still being sold in the United States and, of all places, at Newegg.com. We thought it was illegal to sell this kind of junk in America.

It's not the same model. But if a company is willing to put their name on a piece of crap then their reliability on a whole should be questionable. Spend some money on a quality brand like from: SEASONIC, Corsair, Antec, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax, XFX (seasonic makes their PSUs)

Your PSU may or may not be the problem but down the road it may fail. Do yourself a favor and replace it with something of higher quality.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 26, 2011 10:40:17 PM

^_+1 1tym.

I believe it is the PSU. I have had this exact problem just this week and since I changed the PSU the bad thing went away. Get a decent PSU from a reputable manufacturer and purchase the most powerful PSU you can afford.
m
l
August 26, 2011 11:05:47 PM

I swear I thought somebody might have mentioned the PSU earlier. I mean it's driving me nuts, I just can't remember who the f*ck it was that was mentioning the PSU earlier.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 26, 2011 11:11:45 PM

It was you who mentioned the PSU arson64. ;-)
m
l
August 26, 2011 11:18:34 PM

OOOOOO you're right! It was right in front of me the whole damn time... I'm so blind sometimes I swear.

Haha I'm just playing. Just felt like I got a left behind back there... I hate that feeling :( 

Thanks Wamphryi, you da man :p 
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
August 26, 2011 11:32:03 PM

yeah, its the sh**ty PSU. why you would buy a decent system and buy a junker PSU is beyond me....
m
l
August 26, 2011 11:36:33 PM

Hey, thanks for all of the replies. I have another Computer with a 550W PSU that im going to switch into my computer to see if it still causes the problem.
m
l
August 26, 2011 11:59:22 PM

Hey just a quick update. I installed the 550W PSU and everything is working fine now. Thank you all for your help.
m
l
August 27, 2011 12:12:17 AM

Good deal, glad you figured it out. I'm all about finding good deals to any and every coputer component, but I'll go ahead and tell you now that a PSU is the easiest computer part by far to buy a complete piece of $hit and mistake it for a good deal. They are also the worst components to go cheap on because a bad power supply can easily destroy a computer and all of it's components.

I honestly don't consider other components near as much of a risk. The PSU though is the absolute last component with which to be cheap. Your safest measure is to go by consumer reviews. Newegg is usually a good reference for those. I only iterate this so much because I've wasted so much of my life troubleshooting problems when it was just a $hitastic PSU from the beginning. My last endeavour down that road was also an APEVIA PSU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2011 12:46:42 AM

^_+1
m
l
!