Sign in with
Your question

3dmark06 underperforming on sm2 and sm3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 26, 2011 9:14:26 PM

hey all,

i've got a new asus g53sw-xa1 (i7-2630qm, 16gb ram, nvidia gtx 460m, win7 64bit, not overclocked) and it was running slower than i expected it to, so i ran 3dmark06. sure enough i got 9k vs an "expected score" of 13k.

cpu was 4900 vs 4600 expected
sm2 was 3600 vs 5400 expected
sm3 was 3300 vs 5500 expected

also my windows experience index comes in at what other people are getting with the same laptop, except my graphics and gaming graphics are coming in at 6.5 vs other people's 7.1...

the score was the same with all nvidia drivers i tried: 267.21, 275.33, 280.26, 280.36. (is there a known best driver for the 460m?)

also, when i go to nvidia's website to download drivers the system scan doesn't work (ie, i have to manually choose my graphics card), and then when i download and run the installer, it says "the graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware"... so i have to use a modded inf from laptopvideo2go. then it installs fine. weird.

i was running in high performance mode and plugged in to AC, is there anything else i need to do?

i don't know a lot about this stuff, if more info is needed i will gladly provide.

thanks.
August 26, 2011 9:25:00 PM

for the graphics driver to recognize the card
it usually needs the Microsoft WDM driver installed from Windows Update

I would go with stock Nvidia driver myself personally

also go into the driver control panel and change 3d settings to all performance

plus when running 3Dmark 06 shut down all unnecessary programs and processes from
task magager

plus disable your antivirus during benching

hope this helps :) 
m
l
August 26, 2011 9:37:24 PM

hi thanks for your help, unfortunately i don't think any of those things are going to help. it was running slowly the first time with the stock driver, and i don't have anything nonessential running in the background. i changed everything to performance and that's not making a difference. i suspect it is something more fundamental than those things. any more tips?

thanks.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 26, 2011 9:44:36 PM

I wonder if it's trying to compare your computer's 460m to a full on desktop 460...
m
l
August 26, 2011 9:54:09 PM

no, people with my laptop online who have posted their scores are actually getting like 14k. and i have 16gigs of memory (comes stock with 8 or 12 i forget which). so i should be getting at least 14k
m
l
a c 81 Î Nvidia
August 27, 2011 12:23:53 AM

rballentine said:
no, people with my laptop online who have posted their scores are actually getting like 14k. and i have 16gigs of memory (comes stock with 8 or 12 i forget which). so i should be getting at least 14k

More RAM does not give a higher score. I believe it can actually lower your score a tiny bit. 3Dmark is not a ram whore, it performs at it's max with 2-4GB.

Also, the scores stores in their database are for heavily overclocked systems. Any stock system will not compare favorably. And with a mobile system, you are going to have throttling issues as well, which is hard to keep track of.
m
l
August 27, 2011 12:40:10 AM

I have to agree
the benchmarking guys OC anything they can
also they run stripped versions of Windows with almost everything gutted out
No Antivirus or anything else
m
l
August 27, 2011 6:57:21 PM

Okay, I appreciate the responses, but I should have been more clear, not only does 3dmark06 say my scores are very low, but people with my exact laptop are testing them right out of the box and posting scores of 14k, ie right in line with the 3dmark06 expected scores. So there's definitely a gap there.
m
l
!