tristan13

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Hey Guys I really need some help. I just bought tons of upgrades for my PC. I got a new motherboard, hard drive, CPU, tower, just about everything. I have had it for a day and i took readings of the CPU performance and CPU temperature. Whenever I am installing something or where the CPU needs to work, the multiplier jumps up to about x37 and then the temperature rockets up to the high 90's and sometimes into the 100's.... The multiplier drops back down to about x16 and then becomes pretty slow. This process just keeps on repeating. Is that normal? Can't it just stay at a stable temperature and multiplier?

scottiemedic

Distinguished
I'm guessing without knowing what CPU that it is normal for it to do this. It might be going into Turbo mode, and CPUs do run at a 'decreased' speed while idle, then step it up when under load. Judging by the temps, I'm guessing you are using the stock heatsink and fan (HSF) or the thermal paste was improperly applied or is cheap stock stuff. To keep temps down, you need a good thermal paste to transfer heat, like Arctic Silver 5 and a good HSF, either a hydro like a Corsais H80 or air cooler like a Hyper 212+.

Hope this gives you some ideas...

tristan13

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Ok I didn't build the pc myself so I'm not sure about the exact details...
Motherboard- elitegroup h61h2-m2
CPU- Intel i7 2600
Ram- 8gb DDR3
I think thats all you need to know? I know it is going into turbo mode but it is the temperature that worry me... So I should get a new heat sink, thermal paste and a new HSF? Would that help with the speed at all? Or just help maintaining a good temperature for a good speed?
Thanks for your help:)

scottiemedic

Distinguished
The HSF/Paste will only help with temps. The CPU is going to throttle up and down as it see fit, unless you turn off turbo and lock it into a certain speed (I have no idea if your mobo has these options, you would have to google your board model). I wouldn't recommend that though, you have a top notch CPU, might as well make it earn it's keep. All CPU temps are going to fluctuate depending on load anyway...

tristan13

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks again :D . But would you say that I must change the heat sink and all that? Or is it not necessary? The CPU speed seems to drop when the temp gets too high or am I wrong?

scottiemedic

Distinguished
At the least, I would get good thermal paste like AS5 and take the old stuff off and apply a good paste. Without seeing it, it's impossible to say if the CPU is dropping speed due to heat issues or load issues. I personally never use a stock HSF, though they are *supposed* to be adequate (until something else minor goes wrong in your system and it perpetuates the HSF problem).

popatim

Titan
what case do you have?
The stock heatsink, paste, and fan will cool the i7-2600 fine but the fan will get loud.

yes its normal for the cpu to throttle down when it gets hot but its not normal to reach that point so something is not quite right. monitor your case temps while you are using it and see how hot the case gets when the cpu started getting hot and let us know what you're seeing. You can run prime95 to work the cpu while you moitor temps.