Laptop Power Cable Short

roofeeo

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I had a hard drive installed by Dell and have experienced the problem since.

My warranty ran out shortly after the installation. I can't even get a hold of anyone from Dell.

The problem is when I connect my Power Cord to my laptop the light on the end (part that goes into my computer) goes out. It will not charge.

This happens with other chargers. It also happens with the battery out.

Is there anything I can do to get my laptop back up and running?

The computer is a Dell Inspiron N5010. I can not currently turn it on since it's dead and have no way to charge it.

Thanks all for the responses,

Cory

Hi :)

The problem is the "charging pin" inside the laptop.... (the bit you can see in the charging hole)

You need to take it to a laptop repair company similar to the one I own in the UK and have it replaced... its labour intensive as the motherboard has to be stripped out to solder on a new pin... as an example, we charge £109.80.. thats £9.80 for the pin and £100 in labour.... so you have to consider if its worthwhile financially...although thats a good model so probably worth it...

Unless you have done it before and are a VERY good electronics engineer...do NOT try it yourself...

All the best Brett :)

roofeeo

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

Dell is giving me the run around now. I'm waiting on an email from them currently.

The repair was current enough that I believe it will be covered.

Hi :)

The problem is the "charging pin" inside the laptop.... (the bit you can see in the charging hole)

You need to take it to a laptop repair company similar to the one I own in the UK and have it replaced... its labour intensive as the motherboard has to be stripped out to solder on a new pin... as an example, we charge £109.80.. thats £9.80 for the pin and £100 in labour.... so you have to consider if its worthwhile financially...although thats a good model so probably worth it...

Unless you have done it before and are a VERY good electronics engineer...do NOT try it yourself...

All the best Brett :)

If I disassemble the laptop and bring them the particular circuit the piece that is broke is attached too, would it be any cheaper?