e-coli

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Could someone please explain the difference between DDR3 and DDR5 RAM?
Thanks in advanced!
-e-coli

--------------------------------------------------
Prebuilt Dell XPS8500 system
-8GB DDR3 RAM
-GT640 graphics card
-Intel i7 3770 8 CPUs

tassietim

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
basically same thing just ddr5 ram has higher frequencies then ddr3 has, which is why its used on graphics cards , ddr3 atm highest system ram u can get for mb ram slots use
no doubt some1 else give better answer not really up on technical stuff like that

rene13cross

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
GDDR5 is based on DDR3 but has double the bandwidth of DDR3 (hence why you often see a base clock and then an "effective clock" beside it in parentheses which is simply that base clock multiplied by 4 [instead of 2 with normal DDR3 memory]). Graphics cards require memory that's extremely fast to operate optimally so instead of slapping on the "slow" DDR3 memory, they optimised it to have twice the bandwidth giving it a much higher effective speed. It is more expensive than the traditional DDR3 and requires more power and creates more heat.

I don't know all that much about it but you can read the Wikipedia entry on it to learn more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR5

jtrdfw

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014

While I have limited memory bandwidth cards (660ti sli) I want to agree and emphasize this. I gained 20% fps in Heaven 4.0 from a 17% overclock in vram. Never before in my life have I seen a greater % performance than the actual overclock.

On top of the fact that it virtually eliminated stutters, dips, and drops at 60 fps.

On the other hand, overclocking my clock speed did absolutely nothing. Granted, my "boost" was already quite high, and I am memory bottlenecked relative to other modern cards. But still, zero improvement for say 80-90 more mhz on both cards.

edit: lmao this thread is 2 years old. Still, relevant info as this is the first thing to come up in a google search about ddr3 and ddr5

ChauhanPiyush

Reputable
May 30, 2014

can gddr5 graphic card fit in ddr3 slot?