info on Beggar Prince - the 'new' RPG for Genesis

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.sega.genesis,alt.games.video.sega-saturn,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

to all SEGA fans and old-skool RPG fans in general:

a Taiwanese / Chinese RPG for the Mega Drive that came out in 1996 by
C&E Inc. has been translated to English and will be manufactured &
distributed as an actual Genesis cartridge game. It should be released
pretty soon. Of course, it is without the approval of Sega, who owns
the host platform, Genesis / MD.

the original title was:
Xin Qi Gai Wang Zi / Myth On Light / New Beggar Prince

It will simply be called 'Beggar Prince' when it hits the States
(and maybe the UK too? I dunno)

http://www.beggarprince.com/

June 11, 2005

"I suppose it has been a question mark for quite a while, but Beggar
Prince is indeed a serious project of Super Fighter Team. C&E, Inc. was
kind enough to grant us exclusive permission to handle the job, and as
such we've made it a point to really put our hearts into it.

The game script was translated from Chinese to English, most of it then
rewritten to give the game a more understandable, exciting, and
emotional plot. The introduction and title screen graphics have been
changed to reflect the English title of the game. As I simply refuse to
release buggy or otherwise flawed software, I hired a few Genesis
programming veterans to patch and/or remove the bugs that C&E allowed
the game to ship with in Taiwan due to a rushed release schedule.
Overall, I am very proud of the work we have done and I believe the
Genesis-Megadrive community will appreciate all of the hard work that
has gone into the translation and additional preparation of this game.

Beggar Prince will be the first American cartridge release of a Sega
Genesis game in many years. An expansive RPG, the game is 4MB in size
and features four save game slots (32KB battery-backed SRAM). While
pricing details and exact release date are not yet decided, this game
is definitely a "go", with the backing of the original company (C&E,
Inc.) standing behind our efforts. OlderGames will be handling the
publishing and sale of the completed product.

Eight screenshots of the game in action are now available, as of today,
for viewing from this website. There will be many more pictures,
information, etc. on the website within a short time. Since the game is
so close to official release, I feel that now is a good time to get the
ball rolling.

It is my sincere hope that this project will inspire more folks to give
the Sega Genesis-Megadrive some additional attention, especially in the
way of as-of-yet untranslated RPG adventures. There are many
Taiwan-produced games of this genre waiting for a good, solid English
release. More often than not, the companies that create these Taiwanese
games are more than happy to help Westerners bring them to a larger
audience.

Thanks for your support! Keep an eye on this page for the most updated
news about the game and its upcoming release!"

- Death Adder
President, Super Fighter Team

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.sega.genesis,alt.games.video.sega-saturn,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

WOO HOO!!!

Is anyone else as excited about this as I am? Sure, more 16-bit RPGs
have been released than one can play in a lifetime*, but the thought
that at least one more will be released is awesome news!

*Between work, family, playing games from other genres and generations,
and replaying my favourites, I'll be amazed if I get to finish every
16-bit RPG I CURRENTLY own before I die! :)

Anyways, if the makers of Beggar Prince are reading this, would it be
possible to package the game in a plastic case instead of a cardboard
box and also print its instruction manual in color?

Sean