Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HD 6970 Problem?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 27, 2011 12:25:29 AM

Hey everyone,

I just started experiencing a problem when I starting using a new monitor I purchased.

While I am using the computer (Surfing the internet, typing, gaming) The computer will go to sleep and sometimes will say something to the effect of "no DVI signal." Upon wiggling the mouse, the computer wakes up but this can happen 4-5 times in a 60 second period which can be very annoying.

I thought it was the monitor so I requested a replacement, but that is doing the same thing. I tried my old monitor, same thing. I even reinstalled windows and a day or so later, same thing.

I've also done more obvious things, like shutting off all the sleep/display power down options (set them to never).

Also, I've had this computer for a few months now and this problem just started happening

Anyone experiencing this or know how I can fix this? Could my GPU be going bad? I had it since april.

My specs are as follows:

-Windows 7 64 bit
-ASUS VE247H Black 23.6" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor (I don't think this is the problem)
-AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory
-SAPPHIRE 100311SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
-Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Blue SATA 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive
-ASUS M4A87TD EVO - AM3 - AMD 870 - DDR3 - USB3.0 SATA 6 Gb/s - ATX Motherboard
-Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC

More about : 6970 problem

August 27, 2011 1:12:35 AM

the only thing I can think of besides defective card
is in Control Panel under digital flat panel display properties there is
DVI settings
which offer two options of
reduce DVI frequency on high res displays
and
alternate DVI operational mode

To be honest I am not sure what those settings are
but might be worth looking into

also if you have been using the same DVI cable with all these problems
then try a different DVI cable

Hope it helps :) 
m
0
l
August 27, 2011 1:26:39 AM

king smp said:
the only thing I can think of besides defective card
is in Control Panel under digital flat panel display properties there is
DVI settings
which offer two options of
reduce DVI frequency on high res displays
and
alternate DVI operational mode

To be honest I am not sure what those settings are
but might be worth looking into

also if you have been using the same DVI cable with all these problems
then try a different DVI cable

Hope it helps :) 



Thanks for the reply, that didnt seem to work unfortunately. I also already tried using different cables. its really weird. I dont really know what the issue is because it literally goes to sleep as if it was set up to (dimming of the screen, then completely turning off) after wiggling the mouse it wakes back up. its just annoying because itll happen 4-5 times in a min and while im doing something on the computer.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 27, 2011 1:42:54 AM

Quote:
Try a different DVI cable or I would say try using a Display port cable if your monitor has it. Its better than DVI anyway.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC00256.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC00367.jpg



Thanks for the reply. Also, Nice tower (I have the same one haha). But yeah as I previously told the person before, I've tried a new power cord, DVI cable and even an HDMI cable. Strange enough, the HDMI cable didn't work well for me because it just shrunk the screen. Everything was fine until monday. I built the computer months ago. It seemed to happen when I plugged in my new monitor, although that may be a coincidence because after going back to my old monitor the problem came back
m
0
l
August 27, 2011 2:24:52 AM

try removing and reseating the video card
sometimes it can work loose especially when changing
the video cable

and if that doesnt work then
also go back to HDMI
then go into your Catalyst Control Panel
and go to LCD Digital flat panel settings and adjust the overscan setting
it fills the screen that way
common problem with HDMI
then see if you still have problem with HDMI

m
0
l
August 27, 2011 2:26:42 AM

king smp said:
try removing and reseating the video card
sometimes it can work loose especially when changing
the video cable

and if that doesnt work then
also go back to HDMI
then go into your Catalyst Control Panel
and go to LCD Digital flat panel settings and adjust the overscan setting
it fills the screen that way
common problem with HDMI
then see if you still have problem with HDMI



I have tried all of that except the HDMI thing. I will try that. But I feel like its unlikely because upon trying my old monitor that was working fine, the problem came back.

Ill get back to you about that HDMI thing
m
0
l
August 27, 2011 2:32:03 AM

also go into BIOS by either hitting a F key
or delete while booting up the computer
usually startup screen will tell you what key to hit
then check settings under power management or something like that
m
0
l
August 27, 2011 2:40:46 AM

king smp said:
also go into BIOS by either hitting a F key
or delete while booting up the computer
usually startup screen will tell you what key to hit
then check settings under power management or something like that



I just tried the HDMI thing but the signal couldn't be read at all (even after restarting) so I am starting to think that the video card is failing. Or maybe a virus that cannot be deleted with a simple formatting of the hard drive

Here is everything I have tried so far:
-Virus scan
-Cleaning, dusting, resetting every component of my computer
-Getting a replacement monitor
-Trying my old monitor that was working fine
- Different power cables, DVI cables, HDMI cables
-trying previous video card drivers
- Changing bios settings ( I called the maker of my motherboard this afternoon and they gave me somethings to try)
-formatting and reinstalling windows 7

none of which worked.


m
0
l
August 27, 2011 2:53:40 AM

I think it is defective and hopefully you can RMA
sorry to say :( 
m
0
l
August 27, 2011 3:04:36 AM

king smp said:
I think it is defective and hopefully you can RMA
sorry to say :( 



It sucks but I will be able to get an RMA. I just hate to do that because sapphires RMA Policy sucks. Unlike a site like new egg they dont have advanced replacement. so i have to send my defective card, and once they receive it they will send me a new one, which will take 1-2 weeks. I dont have another computer haha
m
0
l
August 27, 2011 3:14:54 AM

yea I know it sucks
but what can you do

dont feel bad
to make my video card fit
I had to cut the fan assembly
so my MSI 3 year warranty went out the window the first day I bought it LOL
m
0
l
August 27, 2011 4:07:07 AM

king smp said:
yea I know it sucks
but what can you do

dont feel bad
to make my video card fit
I had to cut the fan assembly
so my MSI 3 year warranty went out the window the first day I bought it LOL



That is pretty rough. Next time I buy something expensive (like a 350 dollar video card ill have to put the new egg warranty on it so i dont have to deal with saphire)

Thanks for you help though, I'll post my results once everything is resolved (if they get resolved)
m
0
l
August 27, 2011 4:25:06 AM

Good luck
if they close the thread
then when you see me on another thread
click on my Avatar picture and you have an option of private messaging
me
I do actually care how these things work out
and would like to know final outcome :) 

I know if I had a card like the 6970 I would be freaked out if it didnt work :) 
m
0
l
August 27, 2011 5:11:22 AM

king smp said:
Good luck
if they close the thread
then when you see me on another thread
click on my Avatar picture and you have an option of private messaging
me
I do actually care how these things work out
and would like to know final outcome :) 

I know if I had a card like the 6970 I would be freaked out if it didnt work :) 




It actually smells a little burnt so it could be the card. ill def you posted. thanks ago
m
0
l
!