Solved

Moving a PC from a large tower to a micro case or mini tower

Hey all, first time here but I have gotten help from many threads before. I wanted to get some advice on a project I am working on. I am planning on building a mame arcade cabinet and was going to use my old desktop to do it. However it is currently in a big case and I was gonna use that for new internal components of my next desktop. So I was thinking about moving the mobo, hd, ect to a micro case or a mini tower. I graps that it would be dissasembly and reassembly, however I wanted to get an opinion if the parts I currently have would even work in a smaller case, below is my system in a nutshell.

ULTRACF8000Z 1 0.00 0.00
AMD PHENOM X4 9550 QUAD CORE 1
500 GB SATA II 3.0 GB 16MB 7200RPM 1
1G DDR2 PC6400 MEMORY 3
CM HYPER TX2 GAMING CPU COOLING FAN 1
BLACK LG LIGHTSCRIBE 20X DVDRW 1
MSI K9A2 CF-F AMD790X CROSSFIRE 1
ONBOARD 7.1 SOUND 1
GIGABYTE 802.11G 54MBP WIRELESS PCI 1
COOLERMASTER 600WATT EXTREME POWER 1
BLACK X-CRUISER 420 WATT 1
SAPPHIRE ATI HD 3650 512 MB PCI-E 2

Like I said I like my case and was just going to get new parts to go in it although everything here is about 4 years old, save the power supply it caught fire last year and I replaced it.

Anyway, I was looking to move most of that over, maybe shift down to one video card to save on power and get a smaller power supply. Im concerned that the mobo wont fit or that the heat will be too great for a smaller case. I of course know that being in a arcade cabinet there will be more heat (Buying about 6 200mm fans or 2-4 400mm for the cabinet itself to keep air moving.)

for refernece I was think something like

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112299
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144162

Any help will be appreciated!
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about moving large tower micro case mini tower
  1. Is your board matx?
  2. Best answer
    Neither of those cases will work. The main problem is your mobo. It's ATX and those case can hold a max microATX board. You'll need to swap out your mobo to downgrade the case size.
  3. Ahh ok, so would some thing like this be better?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119195

Also I am sorry to aks so much but do you know if there would be any microatx boards that take my processor?
  4. Motherboard Compatibility ATX, Micro ATX

Yup, that's what your looking for :)
  5. Oh, and there are boatloads of mATX boards for AMD. Sort newegg by CPU type and form factor.
  6. I would get something like a fractal design midi
  7. Thanks guys! Since I got you here any opinion on if I should just make a new pc for this or is recycling a good move?
  8. I'd get whatever appeals to you.
  9. I always try to reuse parts, and yours aren't horribly old. They would make a nice Linux learner or NAS or who knows what! Recycle is always a last option in my book, hehe
  10. Best answer selected by dragonsbane11.
  11. scottiemedic said:
    I always try to reuse parts, and yours aren't horribly old. They would make a nice Linux learner or NAS or who knows what! Recycle is always a last option in my book, hehe

Oh I meant recycle as in use in anew system, not the scrap kind lol. Funny thing is that I have been itching to make a new desktop for a few years but monetary issues hae kept me from it. Now Im looking at making a new desktop and this arcade. I haven made a computer since 2008 so Im a bit rusty...lol thanks for all the help.
  12. You bet, have fun with your new toys!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cases Components Product