Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

WTH! adjusting BIOS settings dont work?

Last response: in Components
Share
January 25, 2012 11:58:02 PM

system specifications. (I just built it)

-corsair force gt 90gb ssd (50gb left)

-2600k i7 processor (1155)

-corsair 400r case

-corsair 16gb vengeance ram (9-9-9-24-2 1600mhz)

-XFX amd HD 7970

-Asus p8z68 V-Pro Gen3

-hyper 212 evo cpu heatsink

-corsair ax650 psu

Whenever i change bios settings like the cpu multiplier and save/restart my computer hangs on bootup then shuts off about 2-3 times. Also the bios says my turbo frequency is 3.50ghz and its correct because when i stress my cpu and check the frequency it shows 3500mhz in AL suite II. I have tried using the integrated cpu graphics, changing memory configurations like one 4gb memory dimm in different slots as well as jut 8gb configuration. I also resetted my cmos many times. staying at 3.5ghz sucks when you can go to 4.2 to 4.5 with this cooler and mobo. Ive spent hours trying to make it work please help! :( 



January 26, 2012 12:03:10 AM

how high are you turning it up, for example, if i try to boot into 3.8GHz on my stock votage, there is no way it would boot

so turn up your volts...
Score
0
January 26, 2012 12:05:47 AM

voltages?
Score
0
Related resources
January 26, 2012 12:10:00 AM

and i even tried auto. my bios setting never work when i go into the os. (win7 ultimate) I save and everything but they never work and when i go back to the bios the changes are still there.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 12:15:11 AM

Do you have turbo disabled?
Score
0
January 26, 2012 12:15:19 AM

If you want to overclock, do some research and dont use a Windows tool for overclocking. Go thru the actual BIOS.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 12:17:05 AM

vrumor said:
If you want to overclock, do some research and dont use a Windows tool for overclocking. Go thru the actual BIOS.

i wasnt using the tool. i used the tool to check the frquency. i know how to overclock but my bios setting dont work in the OS
Score
0
January 26, 2012 12:17:49 AM

voltages?!
Score
0
January 26, 2012 12:19:49 AM

amuffin said:
voltages?!

the voltages i tried were 1.25 1.28 1.3 1.4 and 1.35
Score
0
January 26, 2012 12:20:32 AM

amuffin said:
voltages?!


^+1 agreed, try to take a picture of your BIOS settings as well.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 12:20:34 AM

omega21xx said:
Do you have turbo disabled?

i tried with it enabled and disabled
Score
0
January 26, 2012 12:21:51 AM

omega21xx said:
^+1 agreed, try to take a picture of your BIOS settings as well.

ok ill comeback later with pics
Score
0
January 26, 2012 12:56:57 AM

I'll have to come back to look at those when i'm home, work computer (IE) doesn't want to display the pictures.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 1:00:08 AM

omega21xx said:
I'll have to come back to look at those when i'm home, work computer (IE) doesn't want to display the pictures.

just right click on the thing and click open in new tab?
Score
0
January 26, 2012 1:04:44 AM

keep in mind anything i do dosnt load up in the os. all the time its stuck at 3.5ghz turbo no matter what i do even just changing it to 3.6ghz. ive tried auto voltage manual voltage. lots of configurations. ive watched many guides on how to overclock
Score
0
January 26, 2012 1:29:00 AM

It looks like you have the multi set to 45 for both turbo and for the cpu base frequency. Turn off turbo, and try smaller jumps in multipliers until it won't boot, then up the voltage a step, and keep push multi in small steps until you get where you want or reach the max volt, temp, or clock you cpu can take.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 1:42:58 AM

omega21xx said:
It looks like you have the multi set to 45 for both turbo and for the cpu base frequency. Turn off turbo, and try smaller jumps in multipliers until it won't boot, then up the voltage a step, and keep push multi in small steps until you get where you want or reach the max volt, temp, or clock you cpu can take.

Ok i did, but still with or without turbo i can save and boot up with any muiltiplier setting. the thing is that the settings never apply when im on the os. yes ive stressed it and the highest it ever goes is 3.5ghz as you can see in tye main page it says 3.5
Score
0
January 26, 2012 1:44:30 AM

whenever i save it resets about 2-3 times before going into windows. even when it dosnt do that the changes still arnt shown in windows.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 1:50:14 AM

You have a very good computer!
Score
0
January 26, 2012 1:50:55 AM

WeirdoMikey2T said:
whenever i save it resets about 2-3 times before going into windows. even when it dosnt do that the changes still arnt shown in windows.


This tells me that the board is saying its an unsafe or not enough voltage and reboots to stock settings, not sure why it's set at 3.5ghz but maybe someone a little more familiar with intel boards could give a second opinion. I have only played with a few SB builds :/ 

WeirdoMikey2T said:
You have a very good computer!


If you mean me, then to be honest you're blows mine out of the water at stock haha. I'd be happy with that even at stock, but i understand wanting to get the most out of your system :) 
Score
0
January 26, 2012 6:04:02 AM

Is the bios for the board updated? I don't see how you can't just do some simple overclocking, btw the pics don't work for me.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 9:50:04 AM

amuffin said:
Is the bios for the board updated? I don't see how you can't just do some simple overclocking, btw the pics don't work for me.

i have updated to the latest bios. which is 0402. and just right click the icon and click open in new window it should work
Score
0
January 26, 2012 5:13:53 PM

i am very happy. I was playing around in the bios and i found out if you just change stuff one by one and save quickly the settings load up in the os. i stressed the cpu and now its 4.5ghz at 1.28v. its not that bad. i can do better but i dont want to take a chance getting the problem again. ive seen many overclocking tut but they never get the problem i have. maybe my bios is bad?
Score
0
January 26, 2012 6:17:20 PM

WeirdoMikey2T said:
i am very happy. I was playing around in the bios and i found out if you just change stuff one by one and save quickly the settings load up in the os. i stressed the cpu and now its 4.5ghz at 1.28v. its not that bad. i can do better but i dont want to take a chance getting the problem again. ive seen many overclocking tut but they never get the problem i have. maybe my bios is bad?


ASRock is known to have glitchy BIOS. If it works don't fix it :p  when there is a new bios update you could update and see if they solved the issue you're having in that release.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 6:46:56 PM

i use an asus mobo, but i gues thats the same as asrock (kinda)
Score
0
January 26, 2012 6:52:09 PM

No they aren't the same, ASRock used to be owned by ASUS as a budget brand, they split and now ASRock makes quality products at a good price, problem is that where they save you in cost translates to bad QA and glitchy bios :p 
Score
0
January 28, 2012 2:28:14 PM

omega21xx said:
No they aren't the same, ASRock used to be owned by ASUS as a budget brand, they split and now ASRock makes quality products at a good price, problem is that where they save you in cost translates to bad QA and glitchy bios :p 

Im writing this on a different comp because i was playing gta iv and all of a sudden my computer shut down almost like the cord was ripped out. no bsod's or anything. my computer wont turn on or anything and it just freezes at the press del to goto bios. my 1st pci-e slot dosnt work so i checked the 2nd and it worked but now it dosnt. but the integrated does. maybe my bios is corrupt or maybe i have a defected mobo. i seen many reviews and problems where people had the same problems where there bios is bad and there pci slots dont work sometimes or even bad memory slots. i have no viruses or anything, my updates are all finished, latest bios and drivers. i have bitdefender aswell. my mobo temps were 22c, cpu temps were 47c at prime95, gpu load was 70c, (i used al suite II to read temps before my comp shutdown.


Maybe i just suck at computers.
Score
0
January 28, 2012 3:13:08 PM

WeirdoMikey2T said:
Im writing this on a different comp because i was playing gta iv and all of a sudden my computer shut down almost like the cord was ripped out. no bsod's or anything. my computer wont turn on or anything and it just freezes at the press del to goto bios. my 1st pci-e slot dosnt work so i checked the 2nd and it worked but now it dosnt. but the integrated does. maybe my bios is corrupt or maybe i have a defected mobo. i seen many reviews and problems where people had the same problems where there bios is bad and there pci slots dont work sometimes or even bad memory slots. i have no viruses or anything, my updates are all finished, latest bios and drivers. i have bitdefender aswell. my mobo temps were 22c, cpu temps were 47c at prime95, gpu load was 70c, (i used al suite II to read temps before my comp shutdown.


Maybe i just suck at computers.

No its definitely the board. Rma that, you can try an exchange for the same board, but you could also get a refund and spring for another board with less issues, up to you. I actually have the same board coming in the mail right now. We'll see if i have any trouble.
Score
0
January 28, 2012 5:23:45 PM

omega21xx said:
No its definitely the board. Rma that, you can try an exchange for the same board, but you could also get a refund and spring for another board with less issues, up to you. I actually have the same board coming in the mail right now. We'll see if i have any trouble.

its definetly a good board. I just want one that has zero problems. a gigabyte ud5 is a good choice aswell but i wanted the future proof gen3 mobo from asus. 22nm processor would be awesome aswell as a keplar nvidia video card. hope yours turns out great.
Score
0
January 28, 2012 5:30:09 PM

WeirdoMikey2T said:
its definetly a good board. I just want one that has zero problems. a gigabyte ud5 is a good choice aswell but i wanted the future proof gen3 mobo from asus. 22nm processor would be awesome aswell as a keplar nvidia video card. hope yours turns out great.


Yeah turns out I spoke before having coffee. I'm actually getting the asrock board. My bad.
Either way, i hope you get a good one this time. I had bad luck with a friends build getting two bad boards in a row but that was with ASRock boards.
Score
0
January 29, 2012 7:15:11 PM

omega21xx said:
Yeah turns out I spoke before having coffee. I'm actually getting the asrock board. My bad.
Either way, i hope you get a good one this time. I had bad luck with a friends build getting two bad boards in a row but that was with ASRock boards.

just wondering, but do you think my 7970 could have shutdown my comp because of heat issues? it goes to 70c and it wasnt even overclocked. maybe it caused this whole problem? why would a defective mobo just shutdown while playing a game. ive never heard of this problem. i hope my cpu, gpu, and ssd is fine.
Score
0
January 29, 2012 7:55:21 PM

WeirdoMikey2T said:
just wondering, but do you think my 7970 could have shutdown my comp because of heat issues? it goes to 70c and it wasnt even overclocked. maybe it caused this whole problem? why would a defective mobo just shutdown while playing a game. ive never heard of this problem. i hope my cpu, gpu, and ssd is fine.


If that temp is at idle then there's a problem, but if that's during gaming that's fine. If it goes into the 90's that's when you have a problem.
The motherboard is one of the most essential parts of a build, a bad motherboard could cause problems that could seem like a bad CPU, RAM, or gpu easily sense it binds together all your parts.
Score
0
January 30, 2012 7:24:33 AM

My 7970 idles at about 40c at 20% fan speed and in SWTOR with everything cranked its at about 72c. So if you are under load at that temp you are good. Sounds like your board is bad. PSU seems pretty decent. RMA and see if it fixes your issue. Mobos do weird stuff. My ASUS AM3 mobo worked fine, restarted my PC and wouldnt post. Period. Had to RMA it. So its quite possible.
Score
0
January 30, 2012 8:29:07 PM

omega21xx said:
If that temp is at idle then there's a problem, but if that's during gaming that's fine. If it goes into the 90's that's when you have a problem.
The motherboard is one of the most essential parts of a build, a bad motherboard could cause problems that could seem like a bad CPU, RAM, or gpu easily sense it binds together all your parts.

well asus said to reset the cpu. so i pulled it out and put it back in. and i got into the bios. but it would not boot into windows. i only put 8gb of memory in dual channel and it finally got into windows. but i resetted my bios but and still my turbo is at 3500mhz. WTH! while in the bios it says 3800mhz. the bios is all default. and my gpu temp only goes to 70c gaming. or under load.
Score
0
January 30, 2012 8:39:44 PM

omega21xx said:
If that temp is at idle then there's a problem, but if that's during gaming that's fine. If it goes into the 90's that's when you have a problem.
The motherboard is one of the most essential parts of a build, a bad motherboard could cause problems that could seem like a bad CPU, RAM, or gpu easily sense it binds together all your parts.

this is making me so mad. just saving when not doing anything in bios makes my comp shut down and start up about 5 times thinking its unsafe aswell as pressing f5 and putting it to default will do the same and when i go back into bios it says memory at 1648mhz something like that. and cpu multiplier at 43 even though when i stress it its at 3.5ghz. WTH!
Score
0
January 30, 2012 8:39:48 PM

WeirdoMikey2T said:
well asus said to reset the cpu. so i pulled it out and put it back in. and i got into the bios. but it would not boot into windows. i only put 8gb of memory in dual channel and it finally got into windows. but i resetted my bios but and still my turbo is at 3500mhz. WTH! while in the bios it says 3800mhz. the bios is all default. and my gpu temp only goes to 70c gaming. or under load.


Ask asus what to do now as it hasn't changed anything, they will probably send you an updated BIOS and ask you to try that before sending in a rma.
Score
0
February 1, 2012 12:07:33 AM

I found out 1 stick of memory was bad. and left 8gb of working memory in there, but my bios settings still dont work. the weird thing is is that when i do defaults the bios changes my cpu multiplier to 43 and all this other crap like putting the memory at 1648mhz and cpu at 4.4 something. I talked to asus and they had no idea what the multiplier was so i said the bios setting never work when i go into windows, then he said its should be like that. So then i said when i press f5 for default settings my cpu multiplier goes to 43, he thought i was overclocking and also said he had no idea what i was saying. the volume getting lower to and then i could barelly hear him. i hung up. i also tried cpu-z and prime 95 at same time with small fft's and my frequency was at 3.5ghz.
Score
0
February 1, 2012 12:09:05 AM

omega21xx said:
Ask asus what to do now as it hasn't changed anything, they will probably send you an updated BIOS and ask you to try that before sending in a rma.

one more thing. cpu-z says my memory is at 824.mhz is this normal? my bios says its at 1600mhz. or 1648mhz whatever.
Score
0
February 1, 2012 12:18:27 AM

Your Ram speed is fine, that's the speed it shows without going through the ram ratio which is essentially it's multiplier like the cpu, good to know that you have a bad stick of ram, you'll have to return both the ram and the board however since the problem still exists.
Score
0
February 1, 2012 12:22:03 AM

cpu-z also says i have 2 cores and 4 threads. it should be double. or maybe im wrong.
Score
0
February 1, 2012 12:30:31 AM

You should have 4 cores 8 threads. The i3 has 2 cores 4 threads. If they mistakenly gave you a locked cpu that'd explain the reason you can't over clock and the weird OC/stock clock and so on not working. What does CPU-z list your cpu as for the name?
Score
0
February 1, 2012 12:32:54 AM

it says i have an i7-2600k @ 3.40ghz. soooooooo.....?
Score
0
February 1, 2012 12:39:31 AM

omega21xx said:
You should have 4 cores 8 threads. The i3 has 2 cores 4 threads. If they mistakenly gave you a locked cpu that'd explain the reason you can't over clock and the weird OC/stock clock and so on not working. What does CPU-z list your cpu as for the name?

right after the name it says intel core i7 2600k.
Score
0
February 1, 2012 12:41:43 AM

task manager in performance shows 4 boxes for the cpu. is this right?
Score
0
February 1, 2012 12:42:10 AM

Sounds like cpu-z is reading it right and you are just getting screwed by the board or cpu. Those are the only two that could cause that. A bad cpu, or a board with messed up bios. Of course the board itself could have a hardware issue but this sounds like the bios or cpu (you already updated the bios though if memory serves right)
Score
0

Best solution

February 1, 2012 12:45:47 AM

WeirdoMikey2T said:
task manager in performance shows 4 boxes for the cpu. is this right?


Nope, task manager should show 8. 1 for each thread.
Share
February 1, 2012 12:56:24 AM

omega21xx said:
Nope, task manager should show 8. 1 for each thread.

seriously it should show 8?
Score
0
February 1, 2012 12:59:52 AM

Yep, you should be able to toggle whether task manager shows only cores or only threads.
task manager considers it as 4 cores + 4 logical cores. Which gives 8 threads, the logic cores are only used when tasked with more than 4 threads (or in your case right now 2)
Score
0
February 1, 2012 1:04:55 AM

i fixed it all now theirr is 4 cores and 8 threads i just unchecked number of processors in mssconfig. so its not cpu. maybe try some overclocking now?
Score
0
!