1ooMb LAN to router / 1Gb To NAS Possible???

peyoteimmortal

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hi there, i just got my first NAS, its a old Buffalo Terastation.

Transfering data from my PC to the NAS via the router, maxes out at about 10MB/s, and as far as i know i was hoping to be able to connect me PC to the router via 1 ethernetport, so its speed is 100Mbit, and a direct link from my 2nd ethernetport to the NAS so the speed would be 1Gbit..

Is this possible?

peyoteimmortal

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
So now i have tried to connect the NAS directly to my PC, the NAS link LED indicate that the connection is a 1Gb, and windows network monitor shows that there is a 1Gb network connection, but for some reason it wont utilize more than 10%, so its the same as 1ooMb, this is so odd...

keebler

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
You need to have the correct cables to transfer at Gb speed. Your router was part of the bottleneck before, now it is most likely your wiring. You need Cat 5E or Cat 6 cables to transfer at full speed between Gb devices. A solution to keep your NAS available to the network would be to buy a Gb switch and connect your pc and NAS to it with the proper cables, and then connect the switch to the router for connecting to the web. Or you could just buy a new Gb router and connect everything to it with the proper cables.

peyoteimmortal

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
All done, bought a gigabit router, got cat 6 cables, still not reaching high speed, i think its the terastation thats unable to handle higher speed

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

What kind of speeds are you getting now? Note that there will always be some overheard due to transfer protocols, and it's also limited by how fast the data can be written to the destination disk.