Support for 3 Monitors Need ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

daones

Dec 19, 2008
Hello,
Im currently on a ECS A780-GMA motherboard it only has one PCI x 16 slot for a video card and the regular PCI-e x1 slots. But it does have a onboard ATI Radeon HD 3200 chipset.

Right now im running a GTX 460 but is it possible to utilize the onboard and use the GTX 460 for 2 of the monitors then the onboard for the 3rd monitor? I heard it would conflict if you have an outside video card and try to enable onboard. Any ideas would be appreciated

Solution
You cannot do that.

Only ATI GPU's that are rated for Eyefinity can support more than 2 monitors at once from a single GPU source. And even then, you would need 2 regular outputs for the first 2 monitors and for EVERY monitor thereafter, you'd need to use a Displayport or Minidisplayport from the GPU source. If your monitor doesn't connect via Displayport, you'd need to use an ACTIVE displayport converter, not a passive one, for each monitor beyond the 2nd.

Nvidia GPU's do not support more than 2 monitors per card as well. In an SLi config they can support up to 3, but that'll cost you too much for what you need.
No you will not be able to use your onboard graphics to use a third monitor, but you have several other options to choose from, none of them cheap.

Do you already have al 3 screens? (some can be daisy-chained)
What screens are they?
What brand/edition is the GTX 460?

The easiest solution would be to get a graphics card that has some way (3x DVI ports for example) to support 3 LCD's, like the Sapphire Radeon HD6770 Flex.

daones

Dec 19, 2008
I dont have the screens already, well technically I do but I was probably going to buy one new one... I have a 32 LCD then a 22 LCD and 19 LCD... i was going to replace the 19. The thing is my graphics card has 3 outlets technically... two are DVI and I have one S-Video out... I was thinking i could use the two DVI on the PC monitors then hookup an S-Video to my 32in TV screen... would this work or would the one graphic card not be able to render 3 different screens. Im using it for gaming specifically Iracing which the side screens will render both sides of the car.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
You cannot do that.

Only ATI GPU's that are rated for Eyefinity can support more than 2 monitors at once from a single GPU source. And even then, you would need 2 regular outputs for the first 2 monitors and for EVERY monitor thereafter, you'd need to use a Displayport or Minidisplayport from the GPU source. If your monitor doesn't connect via Displayport, you'd need to use an ACTIVE displayport converter, not a passive one, for each monitor beyond the 2nd.

Nvidia GPU's do not support more than 2 monitors per card as well. In an SLi config they can support up to 3, but that'll cost you too much for what you need.

Solution

daones

Dec 19, 2008
Yeah i guess im out of luck, i would have to upgrade my motherboard and reinstall windows and everything which is a pain especially since i have OEM windows i dont think it will work on a different motherboard. Ill just have to live with two monitors.

Nvidia Geforce GTX 590 supports 3 monitors.

I would still recommend Radeon's Eyefinity though.

You wouldn't have to do any of that. Just get a new GPU.

daones

Dec 19, 2008
Yeah I forgot about that, so technically I could go with an ATI card like the Radeon HD 6870... how would this card be for display on 3 monitors for gaming? I currently am just using a single 460 gtx card and the FPS in the game i play is at 80FPS but i know using 3 monitors i can expect less performance. Would a ATI 5870 be any better for the extra $100 bucks compared to the 6870?

The 6870 is more than sufficient.
No I would not suggest getting the 5870 for $100 more.

1. It's severely underclocked GTX 580 X2
2. The reference card is a 2 slot Card
3. The term GPU stands for Graphics processing Unit, which specifically means the "square" and the 590 has 2

the 5870 would technically be more powerful than the 6870, but I would get the 6870 as 5870s have been EOL'ed for quite a while and the 6k cards are better in DX11.
IMO, for Tri-Screen, get a Sapphire Flex card as it's HDMI port can be used for the 3rd display

Note the use of the word "your". I know the technical jargon.

Anyway, nice GPU you got. Why didn't you get the 2GB version for like a few dollars more?

daones

Dec 19, 2008
Thanks for all the help guys. Ill probably end up getting a 6870 to use 3 monitors on one card with my situation. Although where im at it looks like only Asus is available for the ATI cards.

daones

Dec 19, 2008
Hey Greg, looking at the specs of the card it looks to include 2 DVI outputs (DVI-i, DVI-D) then it has HDMI Output : Yes x 1 (via DVI to HDMI adaptor x 1 )

I also looked at the adapters it included:1 x CrossFire cable
1 x Power cable
1 x DVI to D-Sub adaptor
1 x DVI to HDMI adaptor

so i would be able to use what is included as long as i had two DVI capable monitors and one HDMI capable monitor right?

edit: actually my mistake i noticed its not direct HDMI its coming from the DVI. So the only other ports opened would be the 2X display ports which i know nothing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.