CrossFireX questions

The mother board I have in my build right now is an Asus P8z77-m 1155 and it has CrossFireX support. I was wondering if this is only for AMD cards. Also my motherboard has only one PCI-E 3.0 and one PCI-E 2.0.
I just recently even found out that you can have multiple graphic cards in a system and I was considering purchasing a new card but If later down the road I want to add a second, how easy would it be? What do I need to look for in a video card to make sure it will be compatible with CrossFire?
8 answers Last reply
More about crossfirex questions
  1. Its ALWAYS better to get one powerful card instead of 2 cards.

BUT if you wish, what is your current budget for a graphics card?

Its VERY easy to add the second card. The fact that you have one PCI-e 3 and one PCI-e 2 slot does not matter at all...

Your board only support AMD graphics card in multiple configs, but that is not a bad thing. AMD has very good overings.

Also what power supply do you have?
  2. I was considering getting a good card for now, just open to the possibility of later being able to add another.

I would say 300-400 budget.

My power is Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB 500W ATX12V

I also noticed that some of the cards seem quite large, but I could never find any dimensions.
  3. The dimensions are always in length and how many slots on your back panel the Graphics card will use.

With the board you have you can not go larger than a duel slot card. Fortunately most cards only go to duel slot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

^This is a duel slot card within your budget that will also crossfire on your board. Its a great card for the price.
  4. This card looks very nice and I'm probably going to get it. I found where it says that it is 11" long and I measured and it shouldn't be a problem.

I also like that if at some point down the road I want to add another I can.

My only concern is that it says it requires a minimum of 500w power supply which is exactly what mine is.

Will it be a problem that my power supply is barely what it needs??
  5. ChuckP509 said:
    This card looks very nice and I'm probably going to get it. I found where it says that it is 11" long and I measured and it shouldn't be a problem.

My only concern is that it says it requires a minimum of 500w power supply which is exactly what mine is.

It really depends on the specific power supply.

What exact unit is it?
  6. ChuckP509 said:
    This card looks very nice and I'm probably going to get it. I found where it says that it is 11" long and I measured and it shouldn't be a problem.

It really depends on the specific power supply.

What exact unit is it?

EDIT : Sorry double post.
  7. Quote:
    My power is Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB 500W ATX12V
  8. When I get my new video card, how do I go about installing it? Do I need to remove the old drivers or will just putting it in and installing it's drivers work? I'm going from Nvidia to AMD. Also once I decide to grab another to dualwield them, will my old power supply work, or will it need upgrading.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards PCI Express Product