Sign in with
Your question

CrossFireX questions

Last response: in Motherboards
November 26, 2012 5:59:59 PM

The mother board I have in my build right now is an Asus P8z77-m 1155 and it has CrossFireX support. I was wondering if this is only for AMD cards. Also my motherboard has only one PCI-E 3.0 and one PCI-E 2.0.
I just recently even found out that you can have multiple graphic cards in a system and I was considering purchasing a new card but If later down the road I want to add a second, how easy would it be? What do I need to look for in a video card to make sure it will be compatible with CrossFire?

More about : crossfirex questions

a c 185 V Motherboard
November 26, 2012 6:43:54 PM

Its ALWAYS better to get one powerful card instead of 2 cards.

BUT if you wish, what is your current budget for a graphics card?

Its VERY easy to add the second card. The fact that you have one PCI-e 3 and one PCI-e 2 slot does not matter at all...

Your board only support AMD graphics card in multiple configs, but that is not a bad thing. AMD has very good overings.

Also what power supply do you have?
m
l
November 27, 2012 3:51:44 AM

I was considering getting a good card for now, just open to the possibility of later being able to add another.

I would say 300-400 budget.

My power is Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB 500W ATX12V

I also noticed that some of the cards seem quite large, but I could never find any dimensions.
m
l
Related resources
a c 185 V Motherboard
November 27, 2012 11:06:51 AM

The dimensions are always in length and how many slots on your back panel the Graphics card will use.

With the board you have you can not go larger than a duel slot card. Fortunately most cards only go to duel slot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

^This is a duel slot card within your budget that will also crossfire on your board. Its a great card for the price.
m
l
November 28, 2012 1:02:37 PM

This card looks very nice and I'm probably going to get it. I found where it says that it is 11" long and I measured and it shouldn't be a problem.

I also like that if at some point down the road I want to add another I can.

My only concern is that it says it requires a minimum of 500w power supply which is exactly what mine is.

Will it be a problem that my power supply is barely what it needs??
m
l
a c 185 V Motherboard
November 28, 2012 1:59:32 PM

ChuckP509 said:
This card looks very nice and I'm probably going to get it. I found where it says that it is 11" long and I measured and it shouldn't be a problem.

My only concern is that it says it requires a minimum of 500w power supply which is exactly what mine is.

It really depends on the specific power supply.

What exact unit is it?
m
l
a c 185 V Motherboard
November 28, 2012 1:59:53 PM

ChuckP509 said:

It really depends on the specific power supply.

What exact unit is it?

EDIT : Sorry double post.
m
l
November 30, 2012 6:46:43 AM

Quote:
My power is Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB 500W ATX12V
m
l
November 30, 2012 8:12:39 AM

When I get my new video card, how do I go about installing it? Do I need to remove the old drivers or will just putting it in and installing it's drivers work? I'm going from Nvidia to AMD. Also once I decide to grab another to dualwield them, will my old power supply work, or will it need upgrading.
m
l
!