Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help building piece meal gaming build on the cheap.

Last response: in Systems
October 25, 2011 3:35:10 PM

I just inherited a decent cpu from my sons recent rebuild, His Mobo died and rather than replace an lga775, we went all out w/2600k &Z68 mobo. This leaves me with his Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550 2.83GHz wich is way better than my existing 1.8 in an old Gateway. I have 2 options. First just replace cpu with exsiting as they are both lga775. However my mobo is crap and allows for no OC. ELITEGROUP 945GCT-M3. Mostly though it is ddr2 w/4g max. I am considering taking his cpu and building a new system (on the cheap) that will be upgradable for future use. Understanding that new mobo and cpu will be needed in the future. I would like to find a decent case and most importantly for now a mobo that will support 8g of ram, & psu as mine is not adequate for a new gpu. I also inherited his GeForce 9800 but this is probably way outdated as well. Any help would be appreciated esp with the mobo as i get lost with anything beyond the basics.

inherited - Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550 2.83GHz
GeForce 9800
decent unkown cpu air cooler

exsiting - 1.80 gigahertz Intel Core Duo
ELITEGROUP 945GCT-M3 3.0
NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
2g ram

Best solution

a c 93 B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2011 4:27:18 PM

Do you have a pretty decent flat screen? If so I'd look into turning that system into an HTPC - all you'd need is a cheap video card, PSU, and case and you're set.

You could probably make do pairing the system with a Radeon 6770, an ATX full desktop case (like this one), and maybe something like a Corsair Builder Series CX500, a couple of XBOX controllers and a wireless keyboard - you got yourself a low profile gaming system.
October 25, 2011 5:00:11 PM

i do have a decent flat screen, and never considered an HTPC build. Mostly because i own the Sony Google TV bluray player matched with my Direct TV and have much of that function ability. However, i do hear you..... I dont play allot of PC games but recently quit WOW and tried RIFT but it just didnt want to work with my PC. im not worried about high end graphics just want to have access to play any of the modern games when my wife and daughter have the tv tied up watching GLEE or Jersey this or that...sigh
m
l
Related resources
a c 93 B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2011 6:11:36 PM

I'd say definitely consider this option then. Just convince them that it could also double as a media server - add a 2TB hard drive and a blu-ray burner, download the shows from iTunes, they watch what they want, you get to play what you want... I'd say it's a win-win. :lol: 
m
l
November 1, 2011 12:05:32 AM

Best answer selected by regnivelc.
m
l
!