Sign in with
Your question

My Sony VAIO VPCEE41FX turns on, but doesnt do the POST or display anything on t

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Sony Vaio
  • Displays
Last response: in Motherboards
November 26, 2012 6:20:21 PM

I have a Sony VAIO PCG-61611L/ VPCEE41FX and it seems to turn on. The power button lights up and the coolong fan comes on after it's left on for a little bit. But there is no POST or display, it doesn't make a sound. I'm not sure what to do it is no longer under warrantee or I would have sent it back to Sony. Could some one please help me?

More about : sony vaio vpcee41fx turns doesnt post display

a c 164 V Motherboard
November 26, 2012 11:40:47 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
I have a VPCEE, it is a relatively easy laptop to repair.
First, there are no POST beeps during start up (at least mine never had any), you need to watch the lights sequence to see what it may show - there are quite a few things that can go wrong and cause that which makes troubleshooting a bit difficult here. Hopefully a light sequence (note colors too) can isolate the issue. Primary probable problem places include HDD, ram, power distribution and CPU.
You can try a "reset". With the unit unplugged from the power adapter, remove the battery. While the battery is out and the unit unplugged, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Replace battery, plug in, attempt to start
There are other possible but less likely issues - does it do the same with the battery removed? If not then you need to replace the battery
You can try replacing the CMOS battery on the motherboard that sometimes works.
See what the lights tell you if the reset doesn't work
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:36:25 PM

C12Friedman thank you for welcoming me to Tom's Hardware Forums and thank you for the advice. I've tried everything, I have looked for a light sequence. When I turn it on with just the charger and/ or battery the caps lock, numbers lock, and the other lock light is beside them just above the assist button and the light by the memory card slots flash on now even a sec and then nothing. I don't get any hard drive activity light or anything else. When I hold the power button down the battery light comes on until I let it go. I have tried what you suggested and still nothing, should I try to get a new motherboard? But that might not even be the problem, I don't know what to do. I looked on youtube for help and the only thing I seen was guys baking their motherbaords.
m
l
Related resources
a c 164 V Motherboard
November 27, 2012 11:13:04 PM

With it instantly shutting off like that, I'd be inclined to think a short somewhere. You might try seeing if there are any loose parts running around inside (a screw or something).
One place that tends to be problematic on laptops is the power jack (where your AC adapter plugs in) that is a fairly easy fix if one is adept at soldering.
Your best bet at this point may be to find a shop that specializes in laptop repair and have them diagnose the problm for you (or even repair it). With it turning off like that, unless there is an obvious short somewhere - you may be replacing parts you don't need to. Sony doesn't offer a whole lot in the way of support manuals but what they have is here http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPCEE41...
Because of the instant shut down, I really am out of ideas to contribute here.
m
l
November 28, 2012 5:58:58 PM

The system doesn't shut off it just never fully turns on. The power light stays lit the entire time, last night I decided to see what would happened if I left it on for a while and the power light turned from green to orange after about 10 minutes. When I cut it off and then turned it back on after an hour or so it was green again. Thank you for your help and I'll post what I find out hopefully I'll be saying it's fixed.
m
l
a c 81 V Motherboard
November 28, 2012 6:09:07 PM

Probably the gfx card died(if it has a mobile gfx card)...
Plug in a headphone or speakers and does it beeps (three times)
m
l
December 4, 2012 8:21:08 PM

When I plug my headphones in I don't hear anything. I tried contacting a few people about running a diagostic test on it. I have a meeting on Thursday, I'll post what he diagnosed the problem/s to be.
m
l
January 16, 2013 5:07:58 PM

MarkNash said:
When I plug my headphones in I don't hear anything. I tried contacting a few people about running a diagostic test on it. I have a meeting on Thursday, I'll post what he diagnosed the problem/s to be.

MarkNash, did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have the exact same laptop exhibiting the exact same symptoms (lights blink on just a sec - no display - power light stays on, has to be forced off). I'd be very much interested to hear if you found any solution for this.

I am wondering if this is possibly a failed firmware update or something like that? What were you doing before your laptop quit working? Also, my uncle said (it's his computer) it blue screen errored a number of times in the weeks leading to the complete failure - tho I'm not 100% if this is related. Of course Sony is no help ('I understand you have power indicator, blinking light activity, but no display - try this - when it boots, go into safe mode....' duh)

Thanks Mark - I'd very much like to hear what your outcome was before I tell my uncle to just scrap it and buy a new one (not Sony, HP or Dell). The terrible reality is that this thing is only nearly 1.5 years old and he bought this specifically because he thought buying a Sony would mean it would have some longevity..
m
l
January 25, 2013 5:34:25 AM

Did you find a solution I have the same Issue. Same symptoms no beep no nothing but the light stays green and on but no screen reaction or hard drive spin.

If I put a window 7 recovery disc I hear the disc drive get the command and spin but no reaction from computer after a while it gives up.

If I leave it powered with the light on overnight and the next morning I power cycle it without a pause. I'll boot up perfectly and run perfect but once I shut it off I wont boot up unless I again leave it on wit the light on without booting and power cycle it the next day
m
l
March 4, 2013 5:56:51 AM

I have Exactly same problem on exactly same laptop.please please post here if anyone could figure out the solution.
m
l
March 4, 2013 8:09:43 AM

There is nothing you can do at . Go on ebay and type Sony laptop motherboard repair find one of the many vendors that fix motherboards. The chipset or video card needs to be re balled and that's nothing you can do at home because it requires a microscopic motherboard solder machine.

I sent mine in and it runs perfect, I wont recommend any specific user read their reviews and make your own decision

That is the only way to get it fixed it will cost you anywhere between $60 to $120 and you wont have to buy a new motherboard
m
l
May 29, 2013 10:57:05 AM

Back on April 3rd, 2013 I sent my laptop to fixmypcdoctor.com at PC Doctor in Okeana, OH 45053. I had been chatting with ezchillgreg who I believe is the owner. He was quite reassuring in the matter, due to my fears of being ripped off. Well it took a couple days for him to get it and according to his site he received it on April 9th 2013 and I confirmed this with the USPS tracking number I had. He explained to me that it could take up to 10 days for him to pin point the problem. So I waited 20 days before I tried contacting him, I have placed numerous calls and left emails. He doesn't answer any way I try to contact him, I had to pay upfront for the services I thought I was getting. So he basically ripped me off for a laptop and $160.00. I would advise anyone looking to have their laptops repaired to really be careful. There are a lot of shifty people in the world, I currently have a complaint out against their company for theft by deception and I'll keep you posted.
m
l
August 2, 2013 5:45:14 PM

MarkNash said:
I have a Sony VAIO PCG-61611L/ VPCEE41FX and it seems to turn on. The power button lights up and the coolong fan comes on after it's left on for a little bit. But there is no POST or display, it doesn't make a sound. I'm not sure what to do it is no longer under warrantee or I would have sent it back to Sony. Could some one please help me?

m
l
September 30, 2013 6:13:22 AM

if that would be your problem it is easy now to repair for almost 6 years i work as a technician laptop repair etc.. you need to do is on re balling or reheat the video chip-set using bore level as tools for compromise heat from hot air tools.... but make sure the range is about 45 secs. only. from the surrounding of the said chip-set,, use flax oil for temperance for heating and acrylic thinner for cooling after heating,,,,, that's the only ways you get find totally for you laptop with a no display ..........
m
l
October 8, 2013 7:44:50 AM

I have this same problem found a temporary solution to it, you just need a hair dryer ,
1. turn on your viao make sure it has green light on the power button.
2. close the lid of your or not , its more comfortable if you close it.
3. flip your laptop to its back .
4. blow the dryer on the back of your laptop specially to the mother board and fan area for 10-20 sec depends how powerful is your dryer.

basically you just need to pre-heat your laptop to start,it works completely fine for me.

p.s. its just a temporary solution,permanent solution is what my friend mentioned in its post Elpid_87
m
l
December 15, 2013 9:35:34 PM

manny01 said:
Did you find a solution I have the same Issue. Same symptoms no beep no nothing but the light stays green and on but no screen reaction or hard drive spin.

If I put a window 7 recovery disc I hear the disc drive get the command and spin but no reaction from computer after a while it gives up.

If I leave it powered with the light on overnight and the next morning I power cycle it without a pause. I'll boot up perfectly and run perfect but once I shut it off I wont boot up unless I again leave it on wit the light on without booting and power cycle it the next day

m
l
December 15, 2013 9:36:21 PM

so if u leave it on over night and then turn it off and turn it back on again it works??
m
l
January 29, 2014 11:07:48 AM

Mark:

I am gathering a list of all individuals who have been taken by fixmypcdoctor.com and it is getting pretty long. Please email me your story and what has happened to petalaw@columbus.rr.com

Thanks

Shawn
m
l
February 8, 2014 2:04:33 AM

my sincere advice to every one ...dont ever ever buy sony laptops ....since i faced a big bang from sony laptop .i ill never buy again any sony product...................
m
l
a c 164 V Motherboard
February 8, 2014 4:28:52 AM

manish5454 said:
my sincere advice to every one ...dont ever ever buy sony laptops ....since i faced a big bang from sony laptop .i ill never buy again any sony product...................

Quite interesting, I would easily say my Vaio has been one of the best laptops I've owned. Easy to upgrade and repair... I'm considering buying one from the last batches.
The point is moot though (unless you live in Japan) since Sony has sold off it's consumer PC division and won't be producing Vaio's after 1st quarter 2014
m
l
March 18, 2014 11:31:12 AM

elpid_87 said:
if that would be your problem it is easy now to repair for almost 6 years i work as a technician laptop repair etc.. you need to do is on re balling or reheat the video chip-set using bore level as tools for compromise heat from hot air tools.... but make sure the range is about 45 secs. only. from the surrounding of the said chip-set,, use flax oil for temperance for heating and acrylic thinner for cooling after heating,,,,, that's the only ways you get find totally for you laptop with a no display ..........

Tanks a lot. Your solution work... :) 
m
l
April 18, 2014 2:15:44 PM

MarkNash said:

I had this very PC in my shop some time ago. If you connect to an external monitor, it works just fine. When I looked at the Device Manager, the PC's display did not show up, so I figured it wasn't a bad inverter board or display... the display would have still shown up. I opened the bottom of the case (actually VERY serviceable) and saw the connector to the display. I unplugged it, cleaned it with some terminal cleaner and plugged it back in... BOOM... THERE GOES THE DYNAMITE! That was it.
m
l
April 21, 2014 5:15:27 PM

Mr83Bungle said:
elpid_87 said:

Tanks a lot. Your solution work... :) 

if you could explain a little what u exactly did i also have the same exact problem

m
l
June 27, 2014 8:38:04 AM

We had purchased a LAP TOP Model Name: SVE 14A 15 FNH Model number SVE14AA11W against Bill No. LR-2328 Dated 11-03-2013 of Rs. 40000=00 described on bill as NB Sony 14A 15FN CI5-2G/4/640/1/W7P/GMB2B Sr. No. S010002988D from DELHI Authorised Stockist Namely M/S Digitronics Infosolutions Pvt. Ltd. Delhi-110052 . Warranty Period is over on 11-03-2014 and my system suddenly stops working on 23-06-2014 just after two months of completion of Warranty Period. I could not copied our work files /folders even after going in safe mode and than try to restart the computer , but not restarted. No Display means normally looks in OFF mode & No Indication except of Power On Indication and back light ON of Key Board. After going through Net i found lot of user had faced this problem. On consultation, Experts told us that it has some problem with Graphic Portion/Module.

Being myself a owner of organisation doing R&D and Indianization of Foreign Defence Electronic Products of MIL STANDARD, we understand and dead sure that this is the manufacturing defect and result of sub standard workmanship of original system manufacturer.

Now first i am going to file my complaint with organisation (OEM) and , in case we dont received any reply with in one month i will go for legal advice in this case to claim fresh piece and financial loss against non recovery of my files/ folders from Company. therefore i request to all persons facing such problems come together and shout for justice by filing such complaints. The solution offered by some users is not acceptable as these are not correct solution advised by company.

VINAYA BHARGAVA 227-A, Lane No.5 Ram Nagar, Roorkee-247667 Mb. 09412919949
m
l
June 27, 2014 8:42:38 AM

C12Friedman said:
manish5454 said:

Quite interesting, I would easily say my Vaio has been one of the best laptops I've owned. Easy to upgrade and repair... I'm considering buying one from the last batches.
The point is moot though (unless you live in Japan) since Sony has sold off it's consumer PC division and won't be producing Vaio's after 1st quarter 2014

m
l
June 27, 2014 8:42:51 AM

We had purchased a LAP TOP Model Name: SVE 14A 15 FNH Model number SVE14AA11W against Bill No. LR-2328 Dated 11-03-2013 of Rs. 40000=00 described on bill as NB Sony 14A 15FN CI5-2G/4/640/1/W7P/GMB2B Sr. No. S010002988D from DELHI Authorised Stockist Namely M/S Digitronics Infosolutions Pvt. Ltd. Delhi-110052 . Warranty Period is over on 11-03-2014 and my system suddenly stops working on 23-06-2014 just after two months of completion of Warranty Period. I could not copied our work files /folders even after going in safe mode and than try to restart the computer , but not restarted. No Display means normally looks in OFF mode & No Indication except of Power On Indication and back light ON of Key Board. After going through Net i found lot of user had faced this problem. On consultation, Experts told us that it has some problem with Graphic Portion/Module.

Being myself a owner of organisation doing R&D and Indianization of Foreign Defence Electronic Products of MIL STANDARD, we understand and dead sure that this is the manufacturing defect and result of sub standard workmanship of original system manufacturer.

Now first i am going to file my complaint with organisation (OEM) and , in case we dont received any reply with in one month i will go for legal advice in this case to claim fresh piece and financial loss against non recovery of my files/ folders from Company. therefore i request to all persons facing such problems come together and shout for justice by filing such complaints. The solution offered by some users is not acceptable as these are not correct solution advised by company.

m
l
June 27, 2014 8:43:44 AM

shawnthomas said:
Mark:

I am gathering a list of all individuals who have been taken by fixmypcdoctor.com and it is getting pretty long. Please email me your story and what has happened to petalaw@columbus.rr.com

Thanks

Shawn

m
l
June 27, 2014 8:43:45 AM

shawnthomas said:
Mark:

Thanks

Shawn

m
l
June 27, 2014 8:44:47 AM

MarkNash said:

m
l
June 27, 2014 9:02:12 AM

shawnthomas said:
Mark:

Thanks

Shawn

m
l
June 27, 2014 9:13:37 AM

manny01 said:

m
l
June 27, 2014 9:13:38 AM

manny01 said:

m
l
September 7, 2014 6:36:43 PM

I found this thread as I had an unresponsive Vaio, what seems to have fixed it was to take out the memory boards, clean the contacts and reinstall. Worth trying as it quick and no cost.
m
l
!