Sudden FPS Drops every 5 seconds for the first 5 minutes of every game in Black

CRUSHER767

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I have recently began play call of duty black ops on my decent system, and during every game I get these 120 fps - down to 40 fps - drops like every 3-5 seconds until around 5 minutes into the game where it begins to level out and get better. I was wondering what causes these drops...is it a bad cpu, bad ram, bad HDD, bad graphics drivers, or my paging file.

I have an ip35-e mobo, 4 gigs corsair xms2 ddr2 ram, windows 7 32bit, q6600 cpu at 3.2 ghz, seagate 500 gb HDD, Saphire HD 6950 2GB, Driver Version 11.8

loading from the hard drive causes this. bumping up to 8gb ram may help a little, getting an SSD and 16gb ram and creating a RAM driver with half of that ram for your swap file will make the problem go away. There can also be an issue with GPU fan speeds, people have fixed this by setting a fixed fan speed, the constant speed changes as the card heats up can cause your issue.

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Can u run the GPU-Z test and post the pictures of it..
Thanks in advance

lucifer_9mm

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
I have a 5750 on a phenom ii 965 BE with 4 gigs Corsair 1600MHZ ddr3 RAM. Cod black ops is not that memory hungry, it runs fluid on my system without any fps drops and it seems you have a better config than me and have enough juice to run it properly. sudden fps drops is clearly due to bad memory, may be switching to ddr3 might help but I seriously dont think 8gigs is required to play a game like black ops to get descent frame rates.

lucifer_9mm

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
One more thing I forgot to say as I didnt notice, you have win 7 32 bit and the maximum it supports is 4gigs of ram and even than the amount of ram left for applications to use is roughly between 3-3.5 gigs and in some cases even less. So quite frankly yours seems to be a case where you need to upgrade to 64 bit to enable the maximum usage of 4gigs. Try it bro, I'm positive it should help.

CRUSHER767

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Sorry it took so long to get back. I think what is causing my fps drops is the beginning of the match loading all the textures. I switched to windows 64 bit and I think whatever loads the textures is making me lag. After like 2 minutes of in-game play everythning seems to be fine. Any possible reason why, solutions? hints?