Recent documents menu is always empty

I noticed that the My Recent Documents menu contained only
documents that I opened last week, so I cleared the list
from the Properties dialog of the Start menu. Now the list
is always empty. Any suggestions about how I can get
recently opened documents to display in the list? Thanks.

| "Pam" <pgamer_removeme@email.com>
| wrote in message news:c1e101c47a31$1381db00$a301280a@phx.gbl...
| I noticed that the My Recent Documents menu contained only
| documents that I opened last week, so I cleared the list
| from the Properties dialog of the Start menu. Now the list
| is always empty. Any suggestions about how I can get
| recently opened documents to display in the list? Thanks.

Make certain that the "Show your most recently used documents on
the Start menu" setting is enabled. For more information search
the Windows XP Help and Support Center for the phrase in
double-quotes (with the quotes) and read the Full-text Search
Match by that title.

And if the setting is already enabled, try clicking to clear the
"List my most recently opened documents" check box. Then
clicking the OK, and Apply button. Then go back and enable the
setting as outlined in the Help topic.

Hi, Carrie --

I've tried that, and even tried rebooting, but it doesn't
help. The My Recent Documents item does display on the
Start menu, but the list continues to be empty. Thanks anyway!

Any other suggestions?

Pam

If your computer is a member of a corporate network I suggest
that you discuss this issue with your Systems Administrator. If
this is your home computer, a Windows XP Professional stand-alone
computer that you administer, then:

Run the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), locate the following
policy and set it to "Not Configured":

Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative
Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar:
Remove Documents menu from Start Menu

NOTE: If the policy is already set to "Not Configured" try
toggling the setting. That is, click to select Disabled, then
click the Apply button. Then click to select "Not Configured"
and then click the Apply button.

Keep in mind that for a Windows XP Professional stand-alone
computer, only one local Group Policy object exists. As such,
every policy set using the Group Policy console will effect every
user of the computer, including the built-in Administrator.

For more information about Group Policies and a Windows XP
Professional stand-alone computer search the Windows XP
Professional Help and Support Center for "Client operating
systems" (with the quotes) and read the "Note" in the Full-text
Search Match by that title.

And if you have any more question about Group Policy you will
find the experts in the following newsgroup:

Windows: Group Policy
microsoft.public.windows.group_policy

The following page has links you can click to access the
newsgroup with your Web browser, or with a Network News Transfer
Protocol (NNTP)-based newsreader such as Outlook Express.

Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Management Technologies Newsgroups
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/management/default.mspx

And here are some links to some documentation about
Registry-Based Group Policy:

Microsoft Windows XP - Resources about Group Policy and related
technologies
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/gpe_resources.mspx

Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows Server 2003
(PolicySettings.xls)
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7821C32F-DA15-438D-8E48-45915CD2BC14&displaylang=en

PolicySettings.xls is a detailed spreadsheet that lists the full
set of Group Policy settings described in Administrative Template
(.adm) files. Fields included in the spreadsheet are: *.adm
File, Computer/User Node, Policy Path, Full Policy Name,
Supported on, Help/Explain Text, Registry Settings. For anyone
interested in Registry-Based Group Policy, I highly recommend
downloading PolicySettings.xls

||| "Pam" <pgamer_removeme@email.com>
||| wrote in message news:c1e101c47a31$1381db00$a301280a@phx.gbl
||| <SNIP> My Recent Documents menu <SNIP> is always empty.
||| <SNIP>

|| "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg>
|| wrote in message news:eX%23jLXjeEHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl
|| Make certain that the "Show your most recently used documents
|| on the Start menu" setting is enabled. <SNIP>

| "Pam" <pgamer_removeme@email.com>
| wrote in message news:c15c01c47a38$b73d4660$a601280a@phx.gbl
| I've tried that, and even tried rebooting, but it doesn't
| help. The My Recent Documents item does display on the
| Start menu, but the list continues to be empty. Thanks anyway!
|
| Any other suggestions?

| "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg>
| wrote in message news:%23nqS$EkeEHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl
| <SNIP>
| Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative
| Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar:
| Remove Documents menu from Start Menu <SNIP>

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: