Solved

8gb ram to 16?

Hi, well I see that newegg is selling G. Skill Ripjaws X ram for $25. I think this is a pretty good price, so should I upgrade?

Here are my current specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws X 1866 MHz 8gb
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7770
CPU: AMD FX-6100 @ 3.3 GHz
PSU: Corsair CX500 500w PSU

Thanks
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. Not much performance increase from going from 8gb to 16gb.
  2. Well since it is on sale it would not hurt to grab the extra ram. However I would not expect any performance gain when gaming and doubt the extra ram will be used if you are the average gamer or casual user.
  3. socialfox said:
    Well since it is on sale it would not hurt to grab the extra ram. However I would not expect any performance gain when gaming and doubt the extra ram will be used if you are the average gamer or casual user.

I do gaming, render videos, and Photoshop occasionally. So you don't think it is much of an upgrade?
  4. Well since you said video rendering, maybe you should go with the 16gb. Anyways does your ram usage ever hit near 100% ?
  5. socialfox said:
    Well since you said video rendering, maybe you should go with the 16gb. Anyways does your ram usage ever hit near 100% ?

Not really, I dont really hit more than 50-60%
  6. Best answer
    I went from 8 gigs of Ram to 16 gigs earlier this year. To be honest I see no difference whatsoever. I do some of everything on my computer from gaming (Eyefinity 3 screens with a Radeon 7950), to BluRay/DVD Ripping, to video editing etc. I've seen no difference in any of them. I also have a logitech G20 keyboard with LCD. I use it to monitor stats so constantly see how much ram is used. I've never seen it go above 8 gigs of Ram no matter what I'm doing and I'm a HEAVY multi-tasker. Even with that said for $25 I probably would do it. Just because its not used now doesnt mean in a year or two it wont be.
  7. Well I don't think you will really need it, however since it is on sale you may as well take advantage of it IF money is not really a concern. I myself would grab that as well if I had slots on my motherboard vacant (my motherboard only has 2 ram slots :( )
  8. Best answer selected by itzHaZed.
  9. Thanks guys, I've decided to get the ram.
  10. Hope you enjoy your upgrade, glad I could help.

Gotta hate sales and upgrade fever. Even though I saw no difference going from 8 - 16. I'm browsing neweggs sales and realize for $50 I could go to 32 and am almost considering it...LOL
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory G.SKILL RAM AMD Product