8gb ram to 16?

itzhazed

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Hi, well I see that newegg is selling G. Skill Ripjaws X ram for $25. I think this is a pretty good price, so should I upgrade?

Here are my current specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws X 1866 MHz 8gb
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7770
CPU: AMD FX-6100 @ 3.3 GHz
PSU: Corsair CX500 500w PSU

Thanks

Solution
I went from 8 gigs of Ram to 16 gigs earlier this year. To be honest I see no difference whatsoever. I do some of everything on my computer from gaming (Eyefinity 3 screens with a Radeon 7950), to BluRay/DVD Ripping, to video editing etc. I've seen no difference in any of them. I also have a logitech G20 keyboard with LCD. I use it to monitor stats so constantly see how much ram is used. I've never seen it go above 8 gigs of Ram no matter what I'm doing and I'm a HEAVY multi-tasker. Even with that said for $25 I probably would do it. Just because its not used now doesnt mean in a year or two it wont be.

itzhazed

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

I do gaming, render videos, and Photoshop occasionally. So you don't think it is much of an upgrade?

itzhazed

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

Not really, I dont really hit more than 50-60%

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I went from 8 gigs of Ram to 16 gigs earlier this year. To be honest I see no difference whatsoever. I do some of everything on my computer from gaming (Eyefinity 3 screens with a Radeon 7950), to BluRay/DVD Ripping, to video editing etc. I've seen no difference in any of them. I also have a logitech G20 keyboard with LCD. I use it to monitor stats so constantly see how much ram is used. I've never seen it go above 8 gigs of Ram no matter what I'm doing and I'm a HEAVY multi-tasker. Even with that said for $25 I probably would do it. Just because its not used now doesnt mean in a year or two it wont be.

Solution

socialfox

Distinguished
Well I don't think you will really need it, however since it is on sale you may as well take advantage of it IF money is not really a concern. I myself would grab that as well if I had slots on my motherboard vacant (my motherboard only has 2 ram slots :( )

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Hope you enjoy your upgrade, glad I could help.

Gotta hate sales and upgrade fever. Even though I saw no difference going from 8 - 16. I'm browsing neweggs sales and realize for $50 I could go to 32 and am almost considering it...LOL

TRENDING THREADS