Sign in with
Your question

No post, no beeps, no BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
November 26, 2012 7:53:08 PM

On advice from ASUS, I cleared the CMOS and was attempting to update Bios. System couldn't seem to find drive with relevant file, so I cancelled. Now the system won't POST - no beeps, no video, although fans are spinning and lights on. I have attempted to load BIOS from flash drive according to ASUS procedure but nothing happens.

It seems possible that the BIOS has been deleted or corrupted, but according to ASUS documentation I should be able to recover BIOS from flash. From what I can see, that is not realistically possible as nothing is happening when I power up. I thought I might try installing new BIOS chip, which has to be ordered from US so might take a couple of weeks to arrive. I'm getting a bit out of my depth here, as I have no experience with electronics.

My greatest fear is that the MOBO is dead, in which case I'll just go and put a pillow over my head and have a little cry.

Anybody else have a similar experience? Any idea of what else I could try?

More about : post beeps bios

a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 557 V Motherboard
November 26, 2012 8:41:23 PM

Hi, What motherboard?
m
l
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
a c 471 V Motherboard
November 26, 2012 8:43:49 PM

you forgot to post your mb. if it a newer z77 mb see if it has the usb flashback port. it be the port under the ethernet card the bottom port and there be a button on the back or on the mb. if there is one you have to rename the bios file. asus now install a free renamer for people you run it and it rename the bios file. then copy it to the root of your flash drive. with the pc off but the power supply plugged in press the usb flash back button. the mb if it working will read the flash drive...you see the port flash drive blink. if it works right the speed of the blinks will change then go out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADcdnwMjd_I
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2012 9:11:43 PM

No, my mobo doesn't have that feature. Pity, it looks great.

My mobo is about five years old - Asus P5K/EPU.
m
l
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
a c 471 V Motherboard
November 29, 2012 4:01:59 PM

if the bios is dead dead..then these tricks wont work. try burning the flash file to a cd and floppy disk. put them into the drives and see if the drives try to read them. some bios have a recovery option you have to google the chipset used on your mb. some tell you to hold some keys down at power on and some tell you to rename the vendor flash file ot this default name.
m
l
!