Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Addicted to PCs?

Last response: in Components
Share
January 26, 2012 5:27:22 AM

Curious who here would claim to be addicted to PCs. I mean upgrading, hardware nut, gamer... however you feel like defining it.

The reason I ask is because I was going through my receipts a couple days ago and I have all the receipts from my computer in a folder. I ended up writing a post on it, but I have to say I am thoroughly surprised how much I've spent on this rig so far.

I'm probably well over $3000 now, and it was supposed to be a $1000 build (though it was actually a little over $1500 with monitor)! And I already have the next upgrades planned: $300 for GPU water cooling, $700-800 for a 2560x1440 monitor, and then $350 for a new case (Cosmos II or TJ07). After that I might get a new PSU just because I think I've put a hurt on my 750W Corsair unit lol. Granted, I won't be buying anything until I pay off my car loan and get back from 3 weeks in China, but still...

Anyway, you know you're addicted when... (your turn)

More about : addicted pcs

January 26, 2012 5:43:52 AM

You play on your PC even when you're very sleepy. :p 
Score
0
January 26, 2012 7:11:43 AM

You refuse to go to bed at 1:11AM PT cause there might be "one more" thread you can help answer here. This place will be the death of me, haha
Score
0
Related resources
January 26, 2012 7:21:43 AM

scottiemedic said:
You refuse to go to bed at 1:11AM PT cause there might be "one more" thread you can help answer here. This place will be the death of me, haha

same xD
Score
0
January 26, 2012 7:40:07 AM

. . . instead of doing your job, you spend the majority of time at work surfing online stores to find your next component/watercooling upgrade.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 1:21:28 PM

Hobo82 said:
. . . instead of doing your job, you spend the majority of time at work surfing online stores to find your next component/watercooling upgrade.


I won't tell your boss if you don't tell mine :na: 
Score
0
January 26, 2012 1:58:38 PM

......adjusting your OC settings for 100th time in eith hours because you are sure you can squeeze another .5 Ghz out of the CPU without over heating.......
Score
0
January 26, 2012 3:04:55 PM

...your list of component suppliers is greater than fingers and toes on your hands and feet.

...you have a dilemma of which rig to take to a LAN party as main and backup, neither is your main £3000 gaming rig and they are both still capable of pwning most machines at the LAN.

...a folder isn't big enough to hold all your receipts.

...you sit at your computer waiting for it to copy 1.5TB of data it's telling you will take hours, but you sit and watch anyway.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 3:12:58 PM

I'm here in Brazil. And sadly I'm an addicted...
My signature system cost me a LOT, some hardware here costs a lot more than in US.
BUT, as my addicted condition, I spent the money it needed to have it.
Score
0

Best solution

January 26, 2012 3:15:42 PM

You refer to your computer as 'her".

You spend more time with 'her' than with your real girlfriend.

When someone mentions any amount of money, you start thinking about what hardware that amount of money could get you.

You spend hours cleaning parts with q-tips on a regular basis.

Even though you have an enormous amount of RAM, you spend ages tweaking Windows to use as little as possible.

The first thing you do when you have installed a new game, is to go to the settings-menu and start tweaking. Often resulting in hours of testing and benchmarking before you actually start playing the actual game.

I do all of the above, except the 'her'-part
Share
January 26, 2012 4:20:47 PM

pauls3743 said:
...your list of component suppliers is greater than fingers and toes on your hands and feet.

...you have a dilemma of which rig to take to a LAN party as main and backup, neither is your main £3000 gaming rig and they are both still capable of pwning most machines at the LAN.

...a folder isn't big enough to hold all your receipts.

...you sit at your computer waiting for it to copy 1.5TB of data it's telling you will take hours, but you sit and watch anyway.



"...you sit at your computer waiting for it to copy 1.5TB of data it's telling you will take hours, but you sit and watch anyway. "

That's funny there, and I'm totally guilty!!! hahaha
Score
0
January 26, 2012 4:33:48 PM

chriscornell said:

Even though you have an enormous amount of RAM, you spend ages tweaking Windows to use as little as possible.

The first thing you do when you have installed a new game, is to go to the settings-menu and start tweaking. Often resulting in hours of testing and benchmarking before you actually start playing the actual game.


These ones! You know me so well :lol: 


How about - when you sit at your computer desk to read a book.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 6:36:14 PM

Why read a book when you can download the PDF? ;) 
Score
0
January 26, 2012 6:47:52 PM

chriscornell said:
You refer to your computer as 'her".

You spend more time with 'her' than with your real girlfriend.

When someone mentions any amount of money, you start thinking about what hardware that amount of money could get you.

You spend hours cleaning parts with q-tips on a regular basis.

Even though you have an enormous amount of RAM, you spend ages tweaking Windows to use as little as possible.

The first thing you do when you have installed a new game, is to go to the settings-menu and start tweaking. Often resulting in hours of testing and benchmarking before you actually start playing the actual game.

I do all of the above, except the 'her'-part


I actually do all of the above except the q-tips bit....
Score
0
January 26, 2012 6:49:38 PM

Not only is it "her", but she has a name.

You spend more money on her than your GF.

You can't remember the last time you turned around and looked the other way in your living room for more than a quick hello.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 6:58:30 PM

You put off getting a new car and choose to walk to work to pay for your new upgrade... i've been putting off getting a new car for months, now it's tax return time... i swear i'll try to look away from newegg when that deposit comes in...

This was supposed to be a budget build but it's quickly changing to be more... new motherboard and cpu incoming...
Score
0
January 26, 2012 7:10:28 PM

omega21xx said:
You put off getting a new car and choose to walk to work to pay for your new upgrade... i've been putting off getting a new car for months, now it's tax return time... i swear i'll try to look away from newegg when that deposit comes in...

This was supposed to be a budget build but it's quickly changing to be more... new motherboard and cpu incoming...


Tell me about it. I just went to look at a new case. I decided I didn't like any of the micro ATX cases that newegg had and talked myself into water cooling project from Danger Den.
Score
0
January 26, 2012 7:17:38 PM

spasmolytic46 said:
Tell me about it. I just went to look at a new case. I decided I didn't like any of the micro ATX cases that newegg had and talked myself into water cooling project from Danger Den.


Yep, i'm already planning the next upgrades, rasa RX360 kit and an extra rad down the line. :p 
Score
0
January 26, 2012 7:44:00 PM

When addiction is defined as "can't resist to do something" and you think: "I'm obviously not an addict, because it's not that I can't resist. I just don't want to." :p 
Score
0
January 26, 2012 7:58:36 PM

I often put together great replacement builds for my PC that is currently just fine for my gaming needs. Then I decide I don't need that build (but really it's so I can repeat this process a couple of weeks later).

I sometimes buy just a little below the performance I really want so I'm further incentivized to consider the next product that comes out (picked up a pair of 560 tis instead of a 7970 so that a Kepler setup may feel less wasteful).
Score
0
January 26, 2012 8:46:02 PM

Too often, I have done incremental upgrades to a system, then used the old bits to build another system (essentially rebuilding the old system). Even though it was still very capable of running everything on high.
Score
0
February 4, 2012 11:54:09 PM

Best answer selected by wolfram23.
Score
0
February 5, 2012 1:39:10 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!