Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious who here would claim to be addicted to PCs. I mean upgrading, hardware nut, gamer... however you feel like defining it.

The reason I ask is because I was going through my receipts a couple days ago and I have all the receipts from my computer in a folder. I ended up writing a post on it, but I have to say I am thoroughly surprised how much I've spent on this rig so far.

I'm probably well over $3000 now, and it was supposed to be a $1000 build (though it was actually a little over $1500 with monitor)! And I already have the next upgrades planned: $300 for GPU water cooling, $700-800 for a 2560x1440 monitor, and then $350 for a new case (Cosmos II or TJ07). After that I might get a new PSU just because I think I've put a hurt on my 750W Corsair unit lol. Granted, I won't be buying anything until I pay off my car loan and get back from 3 weeks in China, but still...

Anyway, you know you're addicted when... (your turn)

Solution
You refer to your computer as 'her".

You spend more time with 'her' than with your real girlfriend.

When someone mentions any amount of money, you start thinking about what hardware that amount of money could get you.

You spend hours cleaning parts with q-tips on a regular basis.

Even though you have an enormous amount of RAM, you spend ages tweaking Windows to use as little as possible.

The first thing you do when you have installed a new game, is to go to the settings-menu and start tweaking. Often resulting in hours of testing and benchmarking before you actually start playing the actual game.

I do all of the above, except the 'her'-part

pauls3743

Distinguished
...your list of component suppliers is greater than fingers and toes on your hands and feet.

...you have a dilemma of which rig to take to a LAN party as main and backup, neither is your main £3000 gaming rig and they are both still capable of pwning most machines at the LAN.

...a folder isn't big enough to hold all your receipts.

...you sit at your computer waiting for it to copy 1.5TB of data it's telling you will take hours, but you sit and watch anyway.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
I'm here in Brazil. And sadly I'm an addicted...
My signature system cost me a LOT, some hardware here costs a lot more than in US.
BUT, as my addicted condition, I spent the money it needed to have it.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
You refer to your computer as 'her".

You spend more time with 'her' than with your real girlfriend.

When someone mentions any amount of money, you start thinking about what hardware that amount of money could get you.

You spend hours cleaning parts with q-tips on a regular basis.

Even though you have an enormous amount of RAM, you spend ages tweaking Windows to use as little as possible.

The first thing you do when you have installed a new game, is to go to the settings-menu and start tweaking. Often resulting in hours of testing and benchmarking before you actually start playing the actual game.

I do all of the above, except the 'her'-part

Solution

scottiemedic

Distinguished

"...you sit at your computer waiting for it to copy 1.5TB of data it's telling you will take hours, but you sit and watch anyway. "

That's funny there, and I'm totally guilty!!! hahaha

These ones! You know me so well :lol:

How about - when you sit at your computer desk to read a book.

thespieler

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011

I actually do all of the above except the q-tips bit....

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
You put off getting a new car and choose to walk to work to pay for your new upgrade... i've been putting off getting a new car for months, now it's tax return time... i swear i'll try to look away from newegg when that deposit comes in...

This was supposed to be a budget build but it's quickly changing to be more... new motherboard and cpu incoming...

Dec 2, 2011

Tell me about it. I just went to look at a new case. I decided I didn't like any of the micro ATX cases that newegg had and talked myself into water cooling project from Danger Den.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Yep, i'm already planning the next upgrades, rasa RX360 kit and an extra rad down the line. :p

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
I often put together great replacement builds for my PC that is currently just fine for my gaming needs. Then I decide I don't need that build (but really it's so I can repeat this process a couple of weeks later).

I sometimes buy just a little below the performance I really want so I'm further incentivized to consider the next product that comes out (picked up a pair of 560 tis instead of a 7970 so that a Kepler setup may feel less wasteful).

Status
Not open for further replies.