Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will my scorpius platform configuration work?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Configuration
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2011 2:54:16 PM

will my config work?

mobo- asus crosshair V formula
cpu- amd bulldozer fx-8150 or 8170 relasein in 2012 Q1
GPU- msi hd 6970 lightning edition
PSU- corsair hx850
case- cooler master storm enforcer
CPU Cooler- corsair h100 (push-pull)
Hard drive- wd 2 tb caviar black and patriot pyro 60gb ssd
optical drives- lite-on bluray burner, lite-on dvd burner
RAM- corsair xms3 8gb dual channel

later a may go for 6970 crossfire

i want to stick on to amd not intel and possibly overclock bulldozer.

More about : scorpius platform configuration work

October 24, 2011 3:33:32 PM

timarp000 said:
will my config work?

cpu- amd bulldozer fx-8150 or 8170 relasein in 2012 Q1
PSU- corsair hx850
Hard drive- wd 2 tb caviar black and patriot pyro 60gb ssd

later a may go for 6970 crossfire

i want to stick on to amd not intel and possibly overclock bulldozer.

this should be fine but if you are going to get the 8170 you might need a bios update for your motherboard.
anyway whats wrong with intel, their quad core i5 and i7's offer near equal if not better performance than bulldozer while using less power and if you buy the "k" cpu's you will also get a hefty oc on them as well
Score
October 24, 2011 3:34:05 PM

What is your build primarily used for? Gaming, renderring, video editting, multi-threaded applications?
Score
Related resources
October 25, 2011 9:11:10 AM

casualbuilder said:
What is your build primarily used for? Gaming, renderring, video editting, multi-threaded applications?

ill use it for gaming and movie watching but i would like the extra horsepower, i would like my pc as futureproof as possible
Score
October 25, 2011 9:18:16 AM

megadelayed said:
this should be fine but if you are going to get the 8170 you might need a bios update for your motherboard.
anyway whats wrong with intel, their quad core i5 and i7's offer near equal if not better performance than bulldozer while using less power and if you buy the "k" cpu's you will also get a hefty oc on them as well

I considered the i7 2600k and its a beast in gaming but in the future my dad or myself might to some hd video editing and photo editing. btw, i kinda trust amd alot because my dad has an old 7 year old pc running on amd athlon 64 and no problems except hdd fail, its an hp a1129n. my dad uses it for his business.

do you think there could be any improvements in the config, to save some cash
Score

Best solution

October 25, 2011 12:39:16 PM

if you are going to buy a Bulldozer, save your money and buy an i5 2500k. It benches much better than even the 8150, and is roughly $20 cheaper. Go with either an Asrock/Asus or Gigabyte P67 GEN 3 board. a Pro version would suffice. should be priced at around $145. This will also hold the new Ivy Bridge cpu's, so later on you can upgrade if necessary.

Unless you NEED a silent setup, the H100 is unecessarily expensive, and can be substituted for a Hyper 212+ EVO if you aren't going to heavily OC everything, or stock cooler if no OC at all. Heavy OC i would recommend very good thermal paste and a Noctua D14. It is very quiet, and is one of the best performance coolers on the market.

Last thing is your SSD. If you want solid and dependable performance, i highly recommend you go with a Crucial M4. They are the best on the market right now, and they are a synchronous SSD, unlike most of the cheap SSD's out there that are asynchronous. This means that unlike most drives, they dont slow down until 80% capacity, instead of 50%. This is a huge benefit, especially with a smaller SSD like that 60Gb you showed. That will hold your OS and maybe a couple apps, thats it. I would recommend their 128Gb drive, that way you can write everything on there, and transfer over to your WD drive when it is getting near to capacity.

NOW, if you arent going to intel, as im an AMD fanboy myself, i would say the 8120 is the best buldozer chip out there for you. You may want to look at Asrock's 990FX bare bottom board though. I think it retails on newegg for around $140. Very good quality board. If you dont go there, ASUS' high end boards are my #1 choice. I highly recommend intel though for what you want to do. They are #1 for a reason.
October 25, 2011 1:36:21 PM

casualbuilder said:
if you are going to buy a Bulldozer, save your money and buy an i5 2500k. It benches much better than even the 8150, and is roughly $20 cheaper. Go with either an Asrock/Asus or Gigabyte P67 GEN 3 board. a Pro version would suffice. should be priced at around $145. This will also hold the new Ivy Bridge cpu's, so later on you can upgrade if necessary.

Unless you NEED a silent setup, the H100 is unecessarily expensive, and can be substituted for a Hyper 212+ EVO if you aren't going to heavily OC everything, or stock cooler if no OC at all. Heavy OC i would recommend very good thermal paste and a Noctua D14. It is very quiet, and is one of the best performance coolers on the market.

Last thing is your SSD. If you want solid and dependable performance, i highly recommend you go with a Crucial M4. They are the best on the market right now, and they are a synchronous SSD, unlike most of the cheap SSD's out there that are asynchronous. This means that unlike most drives, they dont slow down until 80% capacity, instead of 50%. This is a huge benefit, especially with a smaller SSD like that 60Gb you showed. That will hold your OS and maybe a couple apps, thats it. I would recommend their 128Gb drive, that way you can write everything on there, and transfer over to your WD drive when it is getting near to capacity.

NOW, if you arent going to intel, as im an AMD fanboy myself, i would say the 8120 is the best buldozer chip out there for you. You may want to look at Asrock's 990FX bare bottom board though. I think it retails on newegg for around $140. Very good quality board. If you dont go there, ASUS' high end boards are my #1 choice. I highly recommend intel though for what you want to do. They are #1 for a reason.

I want to stick to bulldozer, i sure 8 cores will be more future-proof than 4 and intel is very good but at this stage ill will only be gaming. The intel 8 core may come in 2012 on ivybridge but im sure they will overprice the chip. AMD said that windows 7 will come with a new patch which will increase the performance of bulldozer, is this true?

Yes, i want a very silent setup because my computer is on always all the time so ill stay with h100 and i prefer liquid over air cooling. Can Bulldozer 8150/8170 clock to 5.0 GHz?

About ssd you are right about the 60gig ssd but i only want to use it as boot drive and crucial m4 128GB is almost 200$ which is not in my range so i though of ocz solid 3 60GB, is it any good?

the hardest choice is the case because i want usb 3.0 using 20 pin header. any suggestion? My budget is under 150.

Sorry for all the questions im new in this:( 

Thanks for the detailed answer!!!

P.S:- I am amd fanboy :p 
Score
October 25, 2011 1:37:56 PM

EDIT: I might also upgrade ram to 16gb if needed. will it work or am i stressing the PSU?
Score
October 25, 2011 1:47:31 PM

ok, dont go under a 60GB SSD. Windows 7 with all the updates and stuff will go over the 30Gb mark, or cause major performance decrease with all the things you will be putting on it. My personal suggestion, pass on it for now, and either get a 2nd 7200rpm drive to run RAID0, or upgrade to 10k rpm drives like a WD velociraptor. As far as the cpu, if you are going for gaming, dont waste your money on the BD. A Phenom IIx4 is the best chip from AMD at the moment for gaming. Gaming recquires 2-4 High Speed cores. They need to run quickly independently. FX-4xxx-8xxx run off of multi-threaded technology right now, and are terrible at single core performance. do you want to spend all that money on a sub-par gaming cpu? Lastly, cpu's really dont do a ton for gaming. So, with all that knowledge i just gave you, remember that cpu's dont run games, gpu's do.
Save your money for a better SSD, and buy a Phenom IIx4, as that will not bottleneck any 6xxx out there. Lastly, are you running triple monitor or single? This is huge as to what gpu you should be looking at.
Score
October 25, 2011 2:10:03 PM

casualbuilder said:
ok, dont go under a 60GB SSD. Windows 7 with all the updates and stuff will go over the 30Gb mark, or cause major performance decrease with all the things you will be putting on it. My personal suggestion, pass on it for now, and either get a 2nd 7200rpm drive to run RAID0, or upgrade to 10k rpm drives like a WD velociraptor. As far as the cpu, if you are going for gaming, dont waste your money on the BD. A Phenom IIx4 is the best chip from AMD at the moment for gaming. Gaming recquires 2-4 High Speed cores. They need to run quickly independently. FX-4xxx-8xxx run off of multi-threaded technology right now, and are terrible at single core performance. do you want to spend all that money on a sub-par gaming cpu? Lastly, cpu's really dont do a ton for gaming. So, with all that knowledge i just gave you, remember that cpu's dont run games, gpu's do.
Save your money for a better SSD, and buy a Phenom IIx4, as that will not bottleneck any 6xxx out there. Lastly, are you running triple monitor or single? This is huge as to what gpu you should be looking at.

At first i will run single but later i will switch to eyefinity. how is the phenom ii x4 980 in hd video editing and how does it overclock?

what if i buy a ocz solid 3 120gig ssd and a seagate barracuda green 2 tb drive for storage?

Im buying off tigerdirect. just an FYI

what is a use asus crosshair v formula with phenom ii 980 and later upgrade to 8170 when needed?
Score
October 25, 2011 2:13:30 PM

Buy a 955BE, as they all OC wonderful. I have my 955BE OC'd to 4.32GHz at the moment, and its a freakin beast! no problems, and it runs everything. I only have a GTX560, but i plan on picking up a GTX580 soon, and selling the GTX560 in a build for someone.
Score
October 25, 2011 2:52:14 PM

casualbuilder said:
Buy a 955BE, as they all OC wonderful. I have my 955BE OC'd to 4.32GHz at the moment, and its a freakin beast! no problems, and it runs everything. I only have a GTX560, but i plan on picking up a GTX580 soon, and selling the GTX560 in a build for someone.

how is this?

cpu- amd phenom ii 980BE later will upgrade to fx-8170
PSU- corsair hx850
HDD- seagate barracuda xt tb 5900rpm
SSD- ocz solid 3 120gb

Is this better?
Score
October 25, 2011 2:58:58 PM

again, everything looks good. I will say this, you are wasting your money on a 980BE. Get the 955BE. With OC, they clock the EXACT SAME.
Score
October 25, 2011 2:59:12 PM

build is tight though!
Score
October 25, 2011 3:08:02 PM

casualbuilder said:
build is tight though!

how is the phenom ii 1100t or 1090t perform in vedio editing is there is no difference ill take the 955 and overclock it
Thanks alot...
anything i can inprove on?
pls let me know
Score
October 25, 2011 3:12:10 PM

I dunno, with the H100 the 980 will probably obtain a higher overclock than a 955. Is it worth the extra money, probably not.
Score
October 25, 2011 3:13:21 PM

Obviously in an application optimized for scaling beyond four threads an X6 will beat an X4 by up to 50%.
Score
October 25, 2011 3:15:06 PM

IME, they clock the same, same chipset series. If anything, the 980BE might obtain up to an extra 100Mhz. Is it worth an extra $40? not a chance! Over 4.0GHz, its all about pride. However, if you wanted, the Zosma 960T is a GREAT quad-core chip, same price almost as the 955BE, and the same clock potential as it is a black edition. Only thing is it has the POTENTIAL to unlock to a 6-core processor. If you would like, this option allows you maximum gaming potential inside AMD, and allows you to get a 5th or even 6th core at a quad core price. Could make your system a best bang for AMD buck.
Score
October 25, 2011 3:39:21 PM

casualbuilder said:
IME, they clock the same, same chipset series. If anything, the 980BE might obtain up to an extra 100Mhz. Is it worth an extra $40? not a chance! Over 4.0GHz, its all about pride. However, if you wanted, the Zosma 960T is a GREAT quad-core chip, same price almost as the 955BE, and the same clock potential as it is a black edition. Only thing is it has the POTENTIAL to unlock to a 6-core processor. If you would like, this option allows you maximum gaming potential inside AMD, and allows you to get a 5th or even 6th core at a quad core price. Could make your system a best bang for AMD buck.

Presumably the market place for the chip is based on testing by AMD, the best chips obviously being 980s with the highest price. 955s are the lowest performing chips and are sold for the cheapest. What the practical difference is (especially at this point when the process is relatively mature) is anyone's guess.
Score
October 25, 2011 3:40:54 PM

FX-4100 is cheaper than Phenom ii 980 and FX-6100 is cheaper than phenom ii 1100t
should i consider bulldozer 4 core and 6 core versions especially 6 core version?
and BD is 32 nm technology so power usage will also be less and cache is more on BD

and btw, im not on a tight leash with the money i can go to 2000$ or stretch it to 2100$ so id want the best for that price range and if amd wont work out that well now i can also consider intel 'K' sereis chipsif it makes a big difference but ill stick on to ATI graphics over Nvidia...
I will build the rig in april or may so theres no rush but i need a clear idea in my head

ive not done this before so i dont want to make a mistake and regret it.
Score
October 25, 2011 3:43:12 PM

Sigh, in April it's going to be a whole different story.
Score
October 25, 2011 3:51:00 PM

haha, if you are not on that tight of a budget, and you are willing to move, then the i5 2500k is where you want to be. if you really want amd, i would get the Zosma 960T. It has a chance to unlock to a 6-core. 6-core's do not help with gaming, but with some of the other side things you will do, could end up helping a bit. intel's hyper-threading though will certainly outperform anything that a 6-core AMD chip does though.

As for the issue on "better chips". Yes factory the 980BE is clocked higher, but that is within AMD standards on stock HSF. If you want to be honest with yourself, the 955BE at 4.32GHz is not common, and takes a good case and a great HSF. However, 3.8-4.0 is achievable on it with a decent set of case/HSF. a 980BE might hit 4.32GHz with the same set up, or be lower or higher. Its all up to that specific chip. OC'ing is a total crapshoot. You never know what the chip will be able to hit. To pay more to get the same results on average (within 50Mhz) is absolutely ridiculous. To pay more and get better performance (i.e. intel i5) or to get more cores (i.e. quad core to 6 core) is a great investment.

My 2 choices are these:

Zosma 960T
i5 2500k

Best bang for your buck in either intel or AMD.
Score
October 25, 2011 3:52:59 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Sigh, in April it's going to be a whole different story.

i can build in December during Christmas if i consider fx-8170.
and if i wait till april ill consider radeon 7000 sereis
Score
October 25, 2011 3:55:12 PM

bulldozers are server chips. not recommended by AMD or any on Tom's for normal desktop/consumer use. Its a waste of money.
Score
October 25, 2011 4:08:58 PM

casualbuilder said:
haha, if you are not on that tight of a budget, and you are willing to move, then the i5 2500k is where you want to be. if you really want amd, i would get the Zosma 960T. It has a chance to unlock to a 6-core. 6-core's do not help with gaming, but with some of the other side things you will do, could end up helping a bit. intel's hyper-threading though will certainly outperform anything that a 6-core AMD chip does though.

As for the issue on "better chips". Yes factory the 980BE is clocked higher, but that is within AMD standards on stock HSF. If you want to be honest with yourself, the 955BE at 4.32GHz is not common, and takes a good case and a great HSF. However, 3.8-4.0 is achievable on it with a decent set of case/HSF. a 980BE might hit 4.32GHz with the same set up, or be lower or higher. Its all up to that specific chip. OC'ing is a total crapshoot. You never know what the chip will be able to hit. To pay more to get the same results on average (within 50Mhz) is absolutely ridiculous. To pay more and get better performance (i.e. intel i5) or to get more cores (i.e. quad core to 6 core) is a great investment.

My 2 choices are these:

Zosma 960T
i5 2500k

Best bang for your buck in either intel or AMD.

the main problem is in the future my dad or i may do some HD video editing and stuff which needs more cores so i consider the fx-8150. the intel hypertheading is great but the 6 core chips hurt many wallets.

My plan is to have a pc that can do everything and each person can do whatever they want...

BD at stock clocks are bad but once you overclock it shows a huge performance boot so i thought of buying H100 and do some serious overclocking.
i heard 8150 can hit 4.8 to 5.0 ghz so if i buy 8170 it can easily hit 5.0ghz with no trouble.

I play games.
my sister and mom browse the internet
and my dad does HD vedio and Photo editing
our whole family keep downloading movies and tv shows so we need a lot of storage

the New PC should serve all our needs... So at first i considered 8150/8170

i donno if 4 cores will serve my dad's needs and he likes stuff happening fast and the process shouldnt take long...
Score
October 25, 2011 4:22:52 PM

doesnt i5 2500k have hyper-threading? they beat out the 8150 in every bench that i've seen...whether argued by people here or not. look at the one on Tom's. i5's are a great chip, even for your editing. If you want, go with the i7 2600k. It is only another $110, and will give you a better performing cpu for the application type use your dad needs. Trust me, its plenty! Another thing to look at is DL Ubuntu for your dad. as long as his programs will run through a linux OS, he will run faster on that then any Win7 OS.

For anyone out there, anything over 4.0-4.2 GHz is relatively pointless. That is all about the pride aspect of it. and, the i5 2500k on an H100 will hit 5GHz as well.
Score
October 25, 2011 4:33:06 PM

casualbuilder said:
doesnt i5 2500k have hyper-threading? they beat out the 8150 in every bench that i've seen...whether argued by people here or not. look at the one on Tom's. i5's are a great chip, even for your editing. If you want, go with the i7 2600k. It is only another $110, and will give you a better performing cpu for the application type use your dad needs. Trust me, its plenty! Another thing to look at is DL Ubuntu for your dad. as long as his programs will run through a linux OS, he will run faster on that then any Win7 OS.

For anyone out there, anything over 4.0-4.2 GHz is relatively pointless. That is all about the pride aspect of it. and, the i5 2500k on an H100 will hit 5GHz as well.

the 2600k has hyperthreading not 2500k so ill probaly go for that...
what motherboard should i use for 2600k?
Score
October 25, 2011 4:39:11 PM

Asrock has a nice Z68 GEN 4 board at $189. Great board, id grab it. very fast transport speeds on that board.
Score
October 25, 2011 4:54:53 PM

hey guys! P67 vs Z68 chipset?
Score
October 25, 2011 4:57:32 PM

Z68 is the newer one ;) 
Score
October 25, 2011 4:58:16 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Z68 is the newer one ;) 

Is it better?
Score
October 25, 2011 5:00:53 PM

P67 would be best since the Z68 has onboard graphics. depends on whats cheaper.
Score
October 25, 2011 5:09:08 PM

casualbuilder said:
P67 would be best since the Z68 has onboard graphics. depends on whats cheaper.

ill take p67
Score
October 25, 2011 6:02:37 PM

what abt this?

mobo-asus p8p67 deluxe b3
cpu-intel core i7 2600k
gpu- pny gtax 580
PSU- corsair hx850
HDD- hitachi deskstar 2tb
SSD- ocz solid 3 120gb

Intel and Nvidia
Score
October 25, 2011 6:56:20 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
Score
February 22, 2012 12:51:59 PM

cant anyone just answer the question AMD not Intel he wants to know about AMD not Intel answer the question.
Score
February 22, 2012 12:55:25 PM

I have an MSI 990FXA-GD80 mobo with the FX 8120 oc to 4.6 ghz running normal tasks at 35c I very happy with it and for the games I play I couldnt ask for more. I also have a MSI R6850 not top of the line but like I said im very happy with the whole set up. I have a Antec Kuhler 920. So I say if you want to stay with AMD go for it. It's in the eye of the he holder.
Score
February 22, 2012 1:18:18 PM

Best answer selected by timarp000.
Score
July 14, 2012 1:11:47 PM

megadelayed said:

That setup will work great. I just built a Bulldozer 8150 and absolutely love it. Fast , fast, fast :pt1cable: 

I'm not sure why this other guy is so concerned about power (?) Even if pwr required jumped 100wts , OK , so I turned on a light bulb? Heat is not an issue either. I run in the teens (18-19C) at idle and 48 to 49C at 4.5ghz on my 8150, (12C under the 61C max) Your HX-850 PSU will just idle. My HX650 is plenty, but I have less of a card than you (XFX-7770 DD).
Your cooling should be great with the H-100. I use the Corsair A-70 (Air) and it also does a great job. I don't know where some of the intel fan-boys get the idea the FX overheats(?) Maybe they are confusing the FX with the Ivy Bridge. As in--I can see the smoke from here--are you Intel guys OK over there?..should I call a fire truck or something??? You sure?? Maybe YOU should turn the power down. Your SMOKIN Intel-DUDE!

Anyway I got my 8150 for $199 last month, Happy, Happy, Happy.
Score
July 14, 2012 1:32:29 PM

timarp000 said:
I want to stick to bulldozer, i sure 8 cores will be more future-proof than 4 and intel is very good but at this stage ill will only be gaming. The intel 8 core may come in 2012 on ivybridge but im sure they will overprice the chip. AMD said that windows 7 will come with a new patch which will increase the performance of bulldozer, is this true?

Yes, i want a very silent setup because my computer is on always all the time so ill stay with h100 and i prefer liquid over air cooling. Can Bulldozer 8150/8170 clock to 5.0 GHz?

About ssd you are right about the 60gig ssd but i only want to use it as boot drive and crucial m4 128GB is almost 200$ which is not in my range so i though of ocz solid 3 60GB, is it any good?

the hardest choice is the case because i want usb 3.0 using 20 pin header. any suggestion? My budget is under 150.

Sorry for all the questions im new in this:( 

Thanks for the detailed answer!!!

P.S:- I am amd fanboy :p 

$150 is a nice case, So no worries. I bought the Corsair 600T for $145 from Amazon. Lots of room and cable management area. At 10.4 wide it would fit any air cooler (my choice), But you are going H2O so lots of choices. I recommend looking at Corsair as the quality is super.

I also used a 20pin USB-3 mobo to (2)-USB-3 splitter on it ($9) , ran the extra off the splitter to a USB external drive for backups and one to the front case USB-3's.

Great pick for processors as well, I have a 8150 OC'd to 4.5 on air. (48C) I went to 4.7 but didn't want to stress the CPU on air so backed it down. You might need to bump volts to 1.4125 or so.
You will not bog this processor down, lots of horse-power. 8 true cores is the best thing since sliced bread.
Score
July 14, 2012 1:44:42 PM

unanimous415 said:
cant anyone just answer the question AMD not Intel he wants to know about AMD not Intel answer the question.

I would go with the FX-8150 at $199.
8 cores great multi-threading and will overclock great. Mine runs at 4.7ghz on Air cooling at 48c (Corsair A-70 CPU cooler.)
Get at least 8gb ram, 16 would be best for around $100. If you go air cooling get the Corsair low profile ram. No issues with clearance on a air cooler.
Score
July 14, 2012 2:17:10 PM

My build and prices:
Corsair 600T $145
GA990FXA -UD3 $143 (Gigabyte)
Corsair 16GB (LP) $112
FX-8150 $199
PSU-Corsair HX650 $129
XFX 7770 DD $149
USB3 mobo/Splitter $8
Mobo speaker $5
Win 7 64bit OEM $99
Arctic SIlver5 $6
Plextor Multi-drive $43
WD Black 1TB $119
ViewSonic 24" HD $199
Creative speakers $29
Norton 360 $33
Corsair A-70 cooler $47

Just to give you an idea if you are doing a new build..make a list and check prices.
Good luck
Score
August 31, 2012 5:54:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!